IGNORED

Looking whats in XEX disc

Champions_2002

I have a few .XEX discs and was wondering how do i look for what is on these discs, is there a program that will let me see what is on the disc

A XEX file is a single binary file, not a container for other files like an ATR disk image.

You should load the file using the dos 'L'oad Binary File command, or use a EXE/COM/XEX boot loader.

Steve

I have a few .XEX discs and was wondering how do i look for what is on these discs, is there a program that will let me see what is on the disc

A XEX file is a single binary file, not a container for other files like an ATR disk image.

You should load the file using the dos 'L'oad Binary File command, or use a EXE/COM/XEX boot loader.

Steve

That meaning the XEX is just a standard EXE file that will run on a real Atari without any modifications or anything? I was pondering this a while ago, can I convert XEX to ATR, but don't need to if this is the case

Take Atarian care

Yes, XEX/COM/EXE are the same format, just load like any normal EXE file.

Steve

The reason the XEX format exists is to make it an Atari EXE filetype associated to the Atari emulator. You can't very well make .exe and .com files Atari 800 file types on a PC now can you? ;)

Ifd you want to explore the data inside the xex file best use the pc program dis6502...can't remember who wrote it

dis6502 also allows you to R.E a exe/com and xex file back to ATR i think as well as dissassemble atr's disk sectors and binary files into PC cross assembler formats and i believe ASEMD and Mac65 format as well

I've only played around with...not used it properly