IGNORED

WOW 18,000 for Atlantis II

thevnaguy

Looks like homer is going to sell.

No he isn't, that auction is just for hyping purposes, my guess is that he thinks he can control the market, so his other cart with docs is worth more in the future (LOL).

Besides, nobody in their right mind would buy an auction with a picture like that. I can make you a repro that looks like that, in no time.

If anyone cares, this is the cart that VGA bought for a song and a dance, together with a t-handle cart. :P

$$$$$$$$$$$$.............I think he's a little overzealous. Is this for real or is he just braggin. :-o

I think he thinks its for real and thats the scary part.

A loose coke wins failed to sell at 1k but this one is worth 18k I guess because it sat next to another copy that has a box and papers? You got me.

Edited by Buyatari

While the BIN may be $18,000, the seller also has the "Best Offer" option engaged. Thus far, 2 offers have been placed - one from onenightinparishilton and the other from wonder007 - and both have been declined. Both of these bidders are well known big spenders. I believe the seller is using this auction simply to gauge the perceived value of this cartridge vis-à-vis the recent "discussions" of its value against other cartridges, in particular the NWC cart. Perhaps this is to lend more credence to his claims (or invalidate them, as the bidding may be), or perhaps it is for insurance purposes so he knows how much value to assign to this cart.

While the BIN may be $18,000, the seller also has the "Best Offer" option engaged. Thus far, 2 offers have been placed - one from onenightinparishilton and the other from wonder007 - and both have been declined. Both of these bidders are well known big spenders. I believe the seller is using this auction simply to gauge the perceived value of this cartridge vis-à-vis the recent "discussions" of its value against other cartridges, in particular the NWC cart. Perhaps this is to lend more credence to his claims (or invalidate them, as the bidding may be), or perhaps it is for insurance purposes so he knows how much value to assign to this cart.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Your big spender Wonder and onenightinparishilton offered me a whole $1 and $2 respectfully. :P

Your big spender Wonder and onenightinparishilton offered me a whole $1 and $2 respectfully. :P

Well, between these two low bids and what the last loose Atlantis II sold for, you now have a functional range for the market value of this cart. Of course, their bids might be skewed hilariously low in response to the egregiously high BIN. ;)

Is that Homer selling this with this price tag? He seemed sort of normal when I met him at CGE...

I guess if it sold it would be like a jackpot.

Well this is the way I look at it. There are a whole bunch of people who are looking to get the NWC Gold. Some of those people who can't get it will try for the next best thing Competition cart wise. And I believe that this is the next best thing competition cart wise. :)

Is that Homer selling this with this price tag? He seemed sort of normal when I met him at CGE...

...yeah, aside from the fact that he was carrying his Atlantis II around in his backpack and whipping it out every two minutes like it was the holy grail or something (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) )

Well this is the way I look at it. There are a whole bunch of people who are looking to get the NWC Gold. Some of those people who can't get it will try for the next best thing Competition cart wise. And I believe that this is the next best thing competition cart wise. :)

It might be the next best thing. But even so, it's the next best thing at 1/5 - 1/8 of the price.

How about we forgo the next ten years of topics and vanity auctions of the cart, and you just start a topic to let us know when you actually sell it?

It might be the next best thing. But even so, it's the next best thing at 1/5 - 1/8 of the price.

How about we forgo the next ten years of topics and vanity auctions of the cart, and you just start a topic to let us know when you actually sell it?

All right if this does not sell I will sell it in the year 2020. :)

Edit: Also I think it would go for more than one fifth the price right now. Reason: The Sega Genesis Blockbuster World Championship II cart was sold a year ago for about $2,500. And there is no way you can tell me that cart is more relevant than the Atlantis II.

Edited by homerwannabee

Doesn't sound very respectful to me...

And which offered which?

;)

Wonder offered the $1 and onenightinparishilton offered $2. I think that is the first time ever that onenightinparishilton has actually outbid Wonder :)

You really don't understand the hobby. Which isn't your fault you haven't been in it as long as some of us. The next best thing for a person who wants to buy a Gold NWC would be a Grey NWC and then perhaps a complete Stadium Events or a factory sealed Donkey Kong Jr Math.

Some collectors collect all systems but there are enough common carts to keep most of them buzy. When a collector concentrates on one thing he fills up on the cheap stuff and THEN gets the more expensive games. A few collectors who have spent 1k on a single item collect many systems (DreamTR,Ian,Mayhem,myself and a few others) but these are all LONG term collectors and these guys know whats out of line. They know what you paid for your Atlantis II games and you can't snap your fingers and tell them its different. They have all been collecting since the mid 90's or before.

I know of not one person who just collects competetion items. The majority of people who want this cart are Atari collectors only. They don't care that a Neo Geo cart sold for 17k or that a Sega game sold for 2.5k that doesn't change what they will pay for an Atari 2600 game. They guys who collect multiple systems also know not to compare apples to oranges when they pay.

Still you never know what might happen. You could get lucky. Anything is possible.

You really don't understand the hobby. Which isn't your fault you haven't been in it as long as some of us. The next best thing for a person who wants to buy a Gold NWC would be a Grey NWC and then perhaps a complete Stadium Events or a factory sealed Donkey Kong Jr Math.

Some collectors collect all systems but there are enough common carts to keep most of them buzy. When a collector concentrates on one thing he fills up on the cheap stuff and THEN gets the more expensive games. A few collectors who have spent 1k on a single item collect many systems (DreamTR,Ian,Mayhem,myself and a few others) but these are all LONG term collectors and these guys know whats out of line. They know what you paid for your Atlantis II games and you can't snap your fingers and tell them its different. They have all been collecting since the mid 90's or before.

I know of not one person who just collects competetion items. The majority of people who want this cart are Atari collectors only. They don't care that a Neo Geo cart sold for 17k or that a Sega game sold for 2.5k that doesn't change what they will pay for an Atari 2600 game. They guys who collect multiple systems also know not to compare apples to oranges when they pay.

Still you never know what might happen. You could get lucky. Anything is possible.

No Sega is not better than Atari no matter which way you look at it. You do know I have a point with that game. Atari items sell better than Sega and they always will. Also Sega is a dead system and I don't see any new system in their future. Again if someone is willing to pay $2,500 for Sega Genesis Competition cart. I see no reason why they would not pay more for an Atari 2600 competition cart. End of story.

Edit: Nicola does collect competition carts by the way.

Edited by homerwannabee

Homer,

I would guess the reason that "they" would not pay a high dollar amount for Atlantis II is the fact that if someone bought a sega game for 2.5k they are a die hard sega collector there for have no reason to buy an A2 just because it is a comp cart. The fact is that basicly anyone who collects atari games knows about A2 and knows what price range they go for. I know what I paid for mine and I know what I would pay for another one and 18k just isnt the price I would pay. I will agree that it has alot of history but with the market right now it just isnt a super high price cart. With super high being 5k+

A comp cart means nothing to someone who doesnt collect atari. In fact I would bet that it doesnt mean much to ALOT of people (99%) of atari collectors either for 1. Would NEVER pay 1k+ for a game or 2. Someone who isnt in a finacial point to spend that kinda money. Basicly when it comes down to it, anyone who has the money and the want for that type of atari game already has it. When that happens it can be hard to sell that type of cart. Just look at Riff. He has a 1 of 19 PI cart he cant sell for 1k. Why? is that? Because if someone wants it, they prolly already have it.

Jim

Homer,

I would guess the reason that "they" would not pay a high dollar amount for Atlantis II is the fact that if someone bought a sega game for 2.5k they are a die hard sega collector there for have no reason to buy an A2 just because it is a comp cart. The fact is that basicly anyone who collects atari games knows about A2 and knows what price range they go for. I know what I paid for mine and I know what I would pay for another one and 18k just isnt the price I would pay. I will agree that it has alot of history but with the market right now it just isnt a super high price cart. With super high being 5k+

A comp cart means nothing to someone who doesnt collect atari. In fact I would bet that it doesnt mean much to ALOT of people (99%) of atari collectors either for 1. Would NEVER pay 1k+ for a game or 2. Someone who isnt in a finacial point to spend that kinda money. Basicly when it comes down to it, anyone who has the money and the want for that type of atari game already has it. When that happens it can be hard to sell that type of cart. Just look at Riff. He has a 1 of 19 PI cart he cant sell for 1k. Why? is that? Because if someone wants it, they prolly already have it.

Jim

Remember I have best offer as well on this. People can't get past the 18K symbol. Let's look at the other 2 huge sums on Ebay. Both did not have best offer as a thing. Look, the reason I put it at that price is that is the absolute maximum that it will go for. That is what I call my long shot 1 in a 100 chance. If you think about it. It cost me about $3 to list this. Tell me what are the odds of me hitting the lottery and getting 18K. More like 1 in a million. See I don't have to convince 80 percent of the people who look at this. I don't have to convince 10 percent. Heck I don't have to convince 1 percent. All I have to do is convince the 1 in a 1000 that look at this that it is worth something to that amount. Again I realize it is probably a 1 in a 100 shot. But it sure beats the lottery. And the worst that could happen is that a few more people are cognizant of the cart.

Edited by homerwannabee