IGNORED

Atari 5200 controllers

respawnhero

Nah, that's not necessary. What's necessary is an alternate joystick, or an adapter. There's even a way to replace the keypad, if you've got access to a electronics site like BG Micro and minimal soldering skills. My advice is to ditch that stock stick as quickly as possible and get yourself something that really works. An old PC joystick (flightstick or joypad, take your pick) works beautifully as a replacement 5200 controller, and it's not hard to build the adapter for it.

I can't say if it's NECESSARY, as I've never swapped a flex circuit. I DO know that Atari taped the originals down, and I'm sure they would've omitted the step if they felt they could.

And no9, getting a different controller is NOT necessary. The 5200 sticsk take entirely too much abuse.

I can't say if it's NECESSARY, as I've never swapped a flex circuit. I DO know that Atari taped the originals down, and I'm sure they would've omitted the step if they felt they could.

And no9, getting a different controller is NOT necessary. The 5200 sticsk take entirely too much abuse.

I have replaced a flex circuit in the past and I have no recollection of having to use any sort of additional adhesive. I don't think it is entirely necessary, but it is probably a good idea to just use something mild like double sided tape or tacky glue (something easy to remove if necessary). I say that it isn't entirely necessary simply because if I remember correctly, the flex circuit plugs in directly above the keypad into a stationary plug, so 99 times out of 100, the flex circuit shouldn't go anywhere.

And I agree that a different controller isn't truly necessary. A well maintained (and perhaps "Best Electronics"-ed) controller isn't bad to use.

A good pair of 5200 controllers blow away the Colecovision and Intellivision controllers any day of the week. But... if you DO happen to have a chance to pick up an alternative, there are some games that can benefit from it (I.E. Pacman)

You're talking about a battle of midgets, man. The vast majority of classic video game controllers are completely awful, with rare exceptions (the 5200 Wico Command Control, the Amiga Power Stick, etc.). Come on, you KNOW it's true. Today's microswitches and rubber contact pads are a lot more responsive than the kludgy old springs joysticks were using back in the early 80's.

I reviewed the site, Best Electronics, and they said that you needed to glue the flex circuits to the controllers mantle. Is that really necessary? :?:

I've used double sided tape on the many controllers I've fixed and replaced the flex circuit on. A little tape under the keypad section, and a little under each fire button 'arm'

Keeps everything in place and also keeps you from accidentally mangling the flex while putting the controller back together.

You're talking about a battle of midgets, man. The vast majority of classic video game controllers are completely awful, with rare exceptions (the 5200 Wico Command Control, the Amiga Power Stick, etc.). Come on, you KNOW it's true. Today's microswitches and rubber contact pads are a lot more responsive than the kludgy old springs joysticks were using back in the early 80's.

I agree. I just think the 5200 stick is one of the exceptions.

It's not PERFECT(haven't found the controller yet that is), but it's pretty good once you get used to it.

Nah, that's not necessary. What's necessary is an alternate joystick, or an adapter. There's even a way to replace the keypad, if you've got access to a electronics site like BG Micro and minimal soldering skills. My advice is to ditch that stock stick as quickly as possible and get yourself something that really works. An old PC joystick (flightstick or joypad, take your pick) works beautifully as a replacement 5200 controller, and it's not hard to build the adapter for it.

Here's one way to replace the keypad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=320177987571

I find the Atari 2600 keyboard controllers and touchpads are much easier to use than the Atari 5200 controller keypad. I have fixed the Atari 5200 controller several times and it keeps going back to "hard to press" state after a few weeks.

Usually when you replace the circuit, there is some residual tape left on the mantle anyway. If there isn't any left after disassembly to hold the circuit, you can just double over a regular piece of scotch tape to serve the same purpose. You also want to tape the 2 spots that will be behind where you contact the fire buttons area, but you do NOT want to tape the top part by the Start/Pause/Reset area down.