IGNORED

Cuttle Cart Underground Jnr

krisjohn

Looks good though. Personally I'll stick to using a laptop and PLAYBIN.EXE. But I gotta admire the time it takes to translate all those roms into seperate audio files. Now that is a feat!

That was the bulk of the work that went into creating the original CCU and WTW. It was a tough go. I had a lot of help from Chad in fixing playbin and makewav to make many of the games work. I was one of the original CC beta testers. It was lots and lots of work....

BTW: I have one request for your project. If you insist on calling it the CCU and using material from it, please include the original credits from the CCU manual, as Thomas, Chad, Rick, et.al. provided alot of help. It was ALOT of work and one of my babies. Thomas provided the original PAL to NTSC conversions for the project. I would also like to have a copy of your finished product 8)

Also.....

I do have a Cuttle Cart for sale, if anyone wants it. It is signed by Chad. I will entertain fair offers or trades (My last offer was for $250). I can include a copy of the orignal 6 CCU CDS and manual. No jewel case of course.

Take care,

-Lee

I was one of the original CC beta testers. It was lots and lots of work....  

Heya Lee! Yes I remember your fine posts and reviews about the "SuperDuper Charger" on usenet and on the NWCGE mailing lists.. and it's you I have to thank for giving me enough incentive through that info to buy one! :lol: Man, that was one of the best purchases I've ever done! :D

BTW: I have one request for your project. If you insist on calling it the CCU and using material from it, please include the original credits from the CCU manual, as Thomas, Chad, Rick, et.al. provided alot of help. It was ALOT of work and one of my babies. Thomas provided the original PAL to NTSC conversions for the project. I would also like to have a copy of your finished product  8)

That's two requests :D

But seriously, I always intended to include the original credits, though I specifically intend to not use the art that was created for the packaging.

At the moment there looks like there will be distinctly two different versions. The CDA version is a direct copy of the original CCU, just on 8cm discs with new art. The MP3 version is all new with the only thing from the original being the name. It's going slowly, so hopefully anyone who wants to comment should have ample time before any sort of release.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to hear that you haven't had any problems loading any BIN files that have been converted to WAV and then to MP3. It seems to me that one of the Buck Rogers variants wouldn't load at any bitrate - could you verify you were able to do this?

(Maybe it was just the encoders available at the time, or my first generation MP3 CD player.... I have about 8 to try out nowadays.)

As far as the conversion goes, if you have access to a Linux box with makewav and perl on it, it's only a couple lines of script and a few hours to convert and encode them all. For all I know it might be that easy under Windows too. I think a then-complete set of ~1500 BIN files converted to about 192MB of mp3's, which I sorted into subfolders alphabetically. (It was close enough that I considered writing something to automatically make a BIN file out of the MP3 and bit compare, and if they were different, make an audio track with the problem BIN file, but (a) mp3 players behave funny when you mix audio and mp3 tracks and (b) I never got around to it anyway....)

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about my stalled-for-a-second-time CCUjr project. I've still had no luck with packaging, but I have got an interesting idea. It all hinges around me being able to get one of the new VCSp portable Atari 2600s. More info if I ever get a reply from the guy that does them...

I've tooled around with packaging for various CD based things and there's been an option that I haven't used yet. If you do some surfing for "adhesive cd hub" you can find stick-on hubs so you can put a cd anywhere! My specific thoughts were to put a 5 inch and two 3 inch cd's in a dvd case, with the extra two on the side where the booklet normally is. or buy those dvd 'jewel' cases with a removable tray and stick some hubs in there. The possibilities are endless...

Rod