IGNORED

list of 5200 controllers?

midnight magicman

just got a 5200 & was wondering what 3rd party controllers were made for the system.

Is there a 5200 paddle controller?

how do you use the wico on games that require the keypad (i.e. Star Raiders)?

i could only find Atari brand controllers listed on this site (regular & trackball).

Anybody got a link to a list?

Peace

just got a 5200 & was wondering what 3rd party controllers were made for the system.

i could only find Atari brand controllers listed on this site (regular & trackball).

Peace

In order:

No, but you can build one yourself. I haven't gotten around to doing it myself, but once one of my old stock controllers starts to malfunction on me, I might try it.

The Wico Command Control includes a Y-cable so you can plug in a stock controller. Then you use its keypad for options. Many games cannot be started without a keypad, and the Wico Command Control CANNOT plug directly into the 5200, so you need this Y-cable.

This is the list of accessories you're looking for:

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/hardware.html

There are a lot of pictures missing, however, so you'll have to settle for reading the descriptions.

Peace

In order:

No, but you can build one yourself. I haven't gotten around to doing it myself, but once one of my old stock controllers starts to malfunction on me, I might try it.

The Wico Command Control includes a Y-cable so you can plug in a stock controller. Then you use its keypad for options. Many games cannot be started without a keypad, and the Wico Command Control CANNOT plug directly into the 5200, so you need this Y-cable.

This is the list of accessories you're looking for:

http://www.atariage.com/5200/archives/hardware.html

There are a lot of pictures missing, however, so you'll have to settle for reading the descriptions.

Thanks for the info.

Any 5200 experts out there have preferences for certain controllers for certain games?

All I have is one standard & a trackball & I prefer the trackball but unfortunately, as y'all know, it doesn't work with all the games.

Maybe a better way to get this info is to list the 6 games I have thus far & get some feedback on which controllers are prefered for those games:

Berzerk

Pac Man

Centipede

Missle Command

Star Raiders

Space Invaders

Any feedback is much needed & greatly appreciated.

Peace

Berzerk - Use two standard sticks

Pac Man- Use masterplay with Tac-2

Centipede- Use trackball

Missle Command- Use trackball

Star Raiders- Standard Stick

Space Invaders- Masterplay with Tac-2

Is there a 5200 paddle controller? - Not an official one, but you can make your own or get someone to make one for you-ShawnSr made mine, perfect for Super Breakout

I've found that a PC flightstick works WONDERFULLY for Star Wars: The Arcade Game. Of course, you'll have to build an adapter to use it, but it's worth the trouble. It really lends an authentic arcade feel to the game, and it stabilizes the targeting reticule as well... instead of jittering around the screen, it glides smoothly toward your next target. I'm still not sure which version of this game I like best- the ColecoVision game seems more complete, yet also a bit less polished- but with a PC flightstick, the 5200 version feels almost just like the arcade original.

Centipede- Use trackball

Is there a 5200 paddle controller? - Not an official one, but you can make your own or get someone to make one for you-ShawnSr made mine, perfect for Super Breakout

Thanks very much.

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

When you say standard sticks are you talking about the cx-52?

Any idea of a good source for those other controllers/adapters?

Thanks to Jess for the suggestions too.

Would welcome anyone else's input.

Peace

Personally, I'm fond of the CX-52s. Once you've modded them for reliability.

Of what you have, between the stock stick and trackball, PacMan and Space Invaders are the potential problems, IMO.

PacMan benefits a lot from a centering mechanism, and Space Invaders has a HUGE dead zone.

I'd suggest a Sega Redemption adapter, and a Genesis arcade stick for those.

Jess' Star Wars suggestion sounds absolutely fantastic, though.

I've still got the stick I used for Rebel Assault back in the day, too. Give me a little cross-platform continuity.

And I think mimo's mixed up Berzerk and Robotron. Berzerk is a single-stick game.

But get Robotron. It's FANTASTIC.

Edited by JB

Centipede- Use trackball

Thanks very much.

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!

When you say standard sticks are you talking about the cx-52?

Any idea of a good source for those other controllers/adapters?

Thanks to Jess for the suggestions too.

Would welcome anyone else's input.

Peace

Yes, standard stick=cx-52

Look in the marketplace here or e-bay for the converters.

Also try sending Ign1a a PM, he may have something.

If you can't make your own adapter maybe ask someone here to make one for you (maybe Longhorn Engineer?)

Atari age used to sell a "redemption" device to make use of other controllers possible, not sure if/when they will be available.

If you get a masterplay, an own build adapter or a redemption, then the world is your lobster with regard to other joysticks, any 2600/7800 compatible will work

Not unless you're willing to connect it to a PC while you're using it. I've got one, and it wasn't of much use to me. If you DON'T connect the cable to a computer, you can plug in a 2600 paddle and a 2600 keypad instead, but both must be altered in order to make them work. It's not worth the trouble when you can easily build a PC joystick adapter.

Not unless you're willing to connect it to a PC while you're using it. I've got one, and it wasn't of much use to me. If you DON'T connect the cable to a computer, you can plug in a 2600 paddle and a 2600 keypad instead, but both must be altered in order to make them work. It's not worth the trouble when you can easily build a PC joystick adapter.

Thanks for the info again.

I'm thinking about getting that masterplay interface but haven't seen one by itself anywhere yet. Does anyone have an extra masterplay? or the other thing that Atariage used to sell? If so, PM me with $.

Peace

I'm thinking about getting that masterplay interface but haven't seen one by itself anywhere yet. Does anyone have an extra masterplay? or the other thing that Atariage used to sell? If so, PM me with $.

Peace

Anybody?

Peace

Anybody?

I think many interfaces are just too expensive; a hybrid solution worked good for me. A Wico stick with a Atari 2600 Touchpad on the Y-end of the cable. Beats paying for a Wico keypad.

Pictures of some 5200 accessories:

Wow,

Great stuff.

Now forgive me if I'm sounding retarded here but am I seeing this correctly?

Is the Wico Command control stick actually a 2600 controller & it's just the y cable that makes it 5200 compatible? What is the red switch on the side?

Also, does the Masterplay Interface allow use of 2600 paddles?

Peace

Is the Wico Command control stick actually a 2600 controller & it's just the y cable that makes it 5200 compatible?
No. Its an analog stick. Also, you don't need the y-cable if you have the Wico numeric pad.

What is the red switch on the side?
Trimmer adjustment. There's another on the right side as well. They allow the stick to be centered.

Also, does the Masterplay Interface allow use of 2600 paddles?
No. But, you can rewire a 2600 paddle to work with the Wico y-cable or the numeric pad.

Cheers

AtariAge no longer sells the Redemption because the manufacturer, Pixels Past, no longer produces them. Your only option at the moment is to build your own adapter. I don't know if AtariAge plans to stock more, but I DO know that it's been a long time since the Redemption was available on this site. That will probably remain the case until someone develops an adapter that's easier to manufacture. ProDos8 has been working on that, but I don't know what progress he's made on the circuit past the prototyping phase.