IGNORED

Blue Screen of Death?!

Jess Ragan

My Atari 5200 has apparently gotten ideas from my two Windows computers, and is now giving me a blue screen of death every time I fire it up. The screen is flat black without a cartridge, but turns a solid blue (or yellow, or red with black and white stripes) when I try to turn it on with a cartridge in the slot. I'm assuming this means the BIOS is dead, but I'm not 100% certain of this... it could also be the GTIA for all I know. Either way, I'm not happy about this! Is there any way to get parts for this system so I don't have to spend a pile of money on eBay for a whole new unit?

Yea if you're not comfortable with electronics it might be better just to pick up another machine or a new motherboard. Sometimes the fix is easy like a new GTIA or 6502 in a socketed motherboard but sometimes it requires changing other components that have to be un-soldered and a new part replaced. Of course the hard part is figuring out what went bad.

Allan

So the blue screen could be a reaction to just about anything, huh? That totally sucks. This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't bought nearly fifty games, built (or co-built!) several adapters, and grown rather attached to the system. Normally I'd just get by with emulation, but the 5200 isn't a system that lends itself well to emulation, making it all the harder to accept.

So the blue screen could be a reaction to just about anything, huh? That totally sucks. This wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't bought nearly fifty games, built (or co-built!) several adapters, and grown rather attached to the system. Normally I'd just get by with emulation, but the 5200 isn't a system that lends itself well to emulation, making it all the harder to accept.

Well there is a 5200 repair manual that takes you through the steps to figure out what is wrong with the system. I know it was online at one time. It still may be. Of course you have to have some solder skills to fix it. Don't give up on the 5200 I've had a couple of them die over the years but never let it stop me from getting another one or fixing it. I'll take a look in my repair book to see what I can find.

Allan

It wasn't blue, but my 5200 gave me that lifeless blank stare when it had a bad memory chip. Though I have limited experience with 5200's, I wouldn't necessarily condemn the proprietary (hard-to-get) chips on the basis of the given symptoms.

Links on this page to 5200 (and 2600) field service manual:

http://www.atariguide.com/help/care.htm

Edited by BigO