IGNORED

Paypal: Need details about "significantly not as described" claim.

Christophero Sly

As far as I know, a seller can't block a bidder unless they have received @ least 2 negative feedbacks in the last 30 days.

No, a seller can add any eBay user he chooses to his "blocked bidders" list. Go to your "My Selling" page, scroll down and look at the left menu for "More options", then click that for the page with the link to block or allow specific bidders.

One thing I'd like to see eBay add, for people like me with short memory, is a "blocked sellers" list, so I can prevent myself from inadvertently bidding on items from sellers whom I've had problems with (or read horror stories about). But this is unlikely to ever happen, since eBay's business model is to be paid by the sellers.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

As far as I know, a seller can't block a bidder unless they have received @ least 2 negative feedbacks in the last 30 days.

No, a seller can add any eBay user he chooses to his "blocked bidders" list. Go to your "My Selling" page, scroll down and look at the left menu for "More options", then click that for the page with the link to block or allow specific bidders.

That's nice,

how are you going to do that unless you go through every single potential bidder to prevent a negative strike from a new buyer?!! Impossible.

Peace

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I wish eBay would allow sellers to set a minimum feedback level for bidders. If I had the ability to require bidders to have a feedback level of 10, 20, 50, 100, or more, this would eliminate a lot of those lousy "0" bidders, shilling, deadbeats, scammers, and more.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I wish eBay would allow sellers to set a minimum feedback level for bidders. If I had the ability to require bidders to have a feedback level of 10, 20, 50, 100, or more, this would eliminate a lot of those lousy "0" bidders, shilling, deadbeats, scammers, and more.

Agreed 100%

eBay will never do this, as then everyone would block zero feedback bidders. People signing up for new accounts would have a limited subset of what they could bid on, and it would take them longer to get above the minimum threshold to bid on everyone's auctions. What eBay needs to do is better police new users, nuke the shillers, deadbeats, scammers and so forth and make it harder for those people to keep signing up for new accounts (verify a seller's credit card or PayPal account before bidding, or verify a person's address before bidding (send them mail with some code they have to enter into the website before the account is validated, etc.)) There are many things eBay could do to improve the situation, but they seem uninterested in doing so.

..Al

Exactly. Lots of options and yet they do nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong since I have never sold anything, but I have always thought the listing fee was non-refundable in these scam/bad item/no item/fraud situations so they still make their money off the fee regardless of who wrongs who so in the end ebay wins. Anything they do to reduce the number of bad buyers or sellers would help the little guy and lighten their pockets. I won't hold my breath on anything changing, not without them having a reason that benefits them.

eBay will never do this, as then everyone would block zero feedback bidders. People signing up for new accounts would have a limited subset of what they could bid on, and it would take them longer to get above the minimum threshold to bid on everyone's auctions. What eBay needs to do is better police new users, nuke the shillers, deadbeats, scammers and so forth and make it harder for those people to keep signing up for new accounts (verify a seller's credit card or PayPal account before bidding, or verify a person's address before bidding (send them mail with some code they have to enter into the website before the account is validated, etc.)) There are many things eBay could do to improve the situation, but they seem uninterested in doing so.

..Al

All this is good for ebay. They make more money the way it is now.

..Al

of course they won't do anything. They are making a killing in profits (from eBay and PayPal) Personally, I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay last month, and I'm done with them.

Gus

I need to know the details of filing a "significantly not as described claim". Paypal's "help" pages contain no specifics.

Has anyone here successfully pursued such a claim?

If Paypal rules in my favor, do they refund all of my money including the shipping costs?

Do they refund my money ONLY if the money can still be pulled from the seller's account?

I know that if Paypal rules in my favor I'll be required to ship the items back to the seller at my expense. However, do I first have to return the merchandise and show proof a delivery BEFORE Paypal will refund my money?

Finally, will Paypal charge me any additional fees for filling a "significantly not as described" claim?

Thanks.

Who is the seller so we can stay away from them ourselves? Thanks ;)

1.Paypal will charge you a 25 or 35 dollar fee to decide on the case and will take that out of any money you hope to get back.

I was wondering about this recently. I've been a ebay user for 9 years now and have never had to file a paypal claim for any reason. I recently had a seller never ship me the item I purchased and I eventually had to file a claim with paypal. I remember reading about the fee and assuming that I would get unfairly charged over it. Paypal decided in my favor (without argument) and I got a full refund. Is there specific criteria for them charging an 'investigative' fee?

I looked into this too and couldn't find any specific language referring to such a policy in the user agreement. Perhaps is has something to do with whether the item qualifies for Paypal buyer protection.

I believe the "investigation fee" is charged by eBay, not Paypal. If you just go through the Paypal process then you shouldn't get charged anything.

..Al

A reasonable solution would be to allow some fairly relaxed bidding limits on accounts with low feedback. For example, sellers could specify that they won't accept bids for more than $75 from anyone with less than 5 feedback, or whatever. If the numbers are reasonable then it shouldn't be a problem for new buyers to work themselves into the system, while still greatly reducing the risk of non-paying bidders. But I agree, eBay will probably never do anything about this.

I'm trying to give this individual every opportunity to make this right before I post a warning. However, my relationship with this seller is resting on thin ice at this point. Unfortunately, the seller's conduct during this dispute has destroyed any trust that I may have had in them, leaving me with no other alternative than to give the seller an ultimatum requesting a immediate partial refund for the replacement costs of the non-functioning item in the auction. Due to the breakdown of trust, that's the only solution I'm willing to accept from them at this time, but I think it's entirely fair. I'm not even asking for a refund of the relative shipping costs.

Anyway, like I said, I'm giving this seller every opportunity to make this right. If they refuse and force me to fill a dispute with my credit card, I will post a warning about this individual here and in the 'Bad Traders' thread.

I'm trying to give this individual every opportunity to make this right before I post a warning. However, my relationship with this seller is resting on thin ice at this point. Unfortunately, the seller's conduct during this dispute has destroyed any trust that I may have had in them, leaving me with no other alternative than to give the seller an ultimatum requesting a immediate partial refund for the replacement costs of the non-functioning item in the auction. Due to the breakdown of trust, that's the only solution I'm willing to accept from them at this time, but I think it's entirely fair. I'm not even asking for a refund of the relative shipping costs.

Anyway, like I said, I'm giving this seller every opportunity to make this right. If they refuse and force me to fill a dispute with my credit card, I will post a warning about this individual here and in the 'Bad Traders' thread.

By the sounds of things it's someone we all know I take it?

I just realized, I never really indicated that this was an ebay transaction.

Anyway, no, I don't believe this individual is known here.

I just realized, I never really indicated that this was an ebay transaction.

Anyway, no, I don't believe this individual is known here.

Even more reason to let us know who it is because I wouldnt want to go through the aggravation you seem to be going through regardless if they make it right. If its not anyone here, why not warn us? Is it not ebay? I suppose from your previous posts I assumed a bit but Im not bothering to figure that out. You said paypal and a seller somewhere along the line which made me assume Ebay. It is in the AUCTION section as well, maybe that has something to do with why I thought Ebay? :ponder: but who cares about that, who is it? They seem not worth the trouble.

Edited by Phantom