IGNORED

800XL PC

Pengwin

I've had an idea for a few months now of fitting a PC motherboard in an 800XL case. I was wondering if this was possible and what problems I might face in doing such a project.

Do you plan on interfacing the A8 keyboard somehow? You might be able to shoehorn a slim (laptop-style) keyboard in there.

I'm just starting to get the parts together for a 400XP, the 400 has a bit more hight than the XL's. Keyboard will be a problem and I guess an external one will be needed unless you know differently.

There are lots of options, ie inbuilt or external power supply, CD drive etc.I guess you will need a mini ITX board, or a Nano or pico if you have deep pockets.

I know that Bob "Pac Man Plus" has built one into a 2600!

Some links:

2600 XP

1200 XL PC just sold on evil bay

Atari 800 ITX

mini itx store, see what it will cost!

The one I bought that sits waiting to be installed

Absolutely, in fact you could use one of the new micro ITX motherboards from VIA, and it would fit inside easily, also check out the ePC's which are super small.

It really wouldn't be too hard to simply take a PC keyboard apart, and pull the IC chip and mutiplexers and hard-wire an 800Xl keyboard to a custom PCB and plug it into the PC, you'll be missing a lot of important and needed keys however. You may want to consider the 1200XL case since the keyboard has function keys and such, plus with all that room you could mount the PC board, a relatively small power supply, hard drive and CD ROM drive out of the side where the cartridge port is and make a very functional all in one system.

Curt

I've had an idea for a few months now of fitting a PC motherboard in an 800XL case. I was wondering if this was possible and what problems I might face in doing such a project.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd completely forgotten about the keyboard. I wouldn't want to replace the original keyboard, so I guess an external one would be the best option to keep the functionality.

Curt, the reason I am looking at the 800XL case is the availability over here in the UK. 1200XL's are very hard to find, plus if I do find one, odds are that it would be a working one and the last thing I want to do is rip apart a working A8.

As for the motherboard, I have looked at the mini ITX boards, and also the possibility of utilising a laptop (again one that is in need of repair).

None of you obviously saw this fine item!!! I almost bid on it. What a killer system to host APE on!!!

Atari 1200XL Atari/PC Hybrid with 1050 DVD Drive

That's pretty cool, except for the ugly hacking of the case on the left side. Guy should have invested in a Dremel tool. Also, he should have found a black DVD drive to use instead of the white one. :)

..Al

None of you obviously saw this fine item!!! I almost bid on it. What a killer system to host APE on!!!

That's pretty cool, except for the ugly hacking of the case on the left side. Guy should have invested in a Dremel tool. Also, he should have found a black DVD drive to use instead of the white one. :)

..Al

I was just thinking a black DVD would have been better

Man that's a really ugly mod and badly executed, the specs of the PC components are poor. He's really butchered that 1200 case. Really it's sacrilege to rip out the guts of these old devices just to turn them into a PCs. It's very easy to do this, you can build a PC into a shoe box if you want to? but, I don't see the point?

Man that's a really ugly mod and badly executed, the specs of the PC components are poor. He's really butchered that 1200 case. Really it's sacrilege to rip out the guts of these old devices just to turn them into a PCs. It's very easy to do this, you can build a PC into a shoe box if you want to? but, I don't see the point?

It's that very reason that I would only want to do it with a dead A8.

I've just had an idea for the keyboard issue. his might be completely undoable, but...what if I were to use the 'guts' of a laptop ( I have a semi-working Compaq Presario here), and 'somehow' connect the keyboard from an A8 via the ribbon (with some modification of course), but also have t facility to plug in an external keyboard. That would allow me to use the extra keys when required, but use the original keyboard when possible. Does that sound do-able?

I totally agree on all those points.

I'm not even keen on simple mods (I personally prefer my A-8 stuff to be totally original) but I can understand why people do it. But personally IMO (with no offense to anyone) I don't really see what the point is in putting a PC mother board into an A8.

And the 1200XL, what has happened to that really seems pointless, it doesn't even look like a good job, the side of it looks a total mess, and for what? It just all comes across like a load of junk now. It's like wrecking a Jaguar E-Type to put a Ferrari engine in it that half sticks out of a hole cut out of the bonnet because it doesn't fit properly.

Edited by Ross PK

Well I agree that he butchered the 1200XL. But I too put a newer machine in an old Atari. I had a dead Atari 810 and a half dead iBook and I married the two. If I hadn't I'd have two paperweights rather than one very odd, but functional box.

http://homepage.mac.com/pfletch/PhotoAlbum25.html

Yep that was me...

Atari 1200XP project...

Better pics click here

Its rough but along the same lines as the recent 1200 on ebay except I used a via mii 10000 board with a cf slot and pcmcia/cardbuss slot on the rear, a functional laptop style keyboard and a black LG dvd burner for te 1050.

No working systems were harmed.

I was talking to the guy who built the recently ebayed 1200 pc and he is going to send me the custom emulator front end he built.

Will post developments. :)

This guy used an ITX and a small laptop usb keyboard which only required minor cutting (for the keyboard). The back of the case is butchered. He has a website somewhere with better pics and descriptions but I can't seem to find it.
Edited by Noelio

Well I agree that he butchered the 1200XL. But I too put a newer machine in an old Atari. I had a dead Atari 810 and a half dead iBook and I married the two. If I hadn't I'd have two paperweights rather than one very odd, but functional box.

http://homepage.mac.com/pfletch/PhotoAlbum25.html

Excellent, that's cheered me right up this morning! :D Do you have an A8 emulator running on it?

I was talking to the guy who built the recently ebayed 1200 pc and he is going to send me the custom emulator front end he built.

Cool, If the guy doesn't mind it being made available to anyone, I would like a copy

Yep that was me...

Atari 1200XP project...

Better pics click here

Its rough but along the same lines as the recent 1200 on ebay except I used a via mii 10000 board with a cf slot and pcmcia/cardbuss slot on the rear, a functional laptop style keyboard and a black LG dvd burner for te 1050.

This guy used an ITX and a small laptop usb keyboard which only required minor cutting (for the keyboard). The back of the case is butchered. He has a website somewhere with better pics and descriptions but I can't seem to find it.

I love the cd drive in the 1050 case. What brand keyboard did you use?

Yeah the LG DVDRW looks at home in the 1050!

The keyboard is a MC INDUSTRIES.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Portable-Super-Slim-USB...1QQcmdZViewItem

Very similar... Got to make sure the measurements are close as possible or you will be left with huge gaps or even worse have to cut away alot of plastic trim.

Yep that was me...

Atari 1200XP project...

Better pics click here

I love the cd drive in the 1050 case. What brand keyboard did you use?