IGNORED

An Intro and Controller Cable issues

C. Alan

Last Thursday, I was at my in-laws house, and they told me that they had an old atari that they were going to throw away, and they wondered if I would like to have it. I was expecting a 2600, and I was much surprised when they presented me with a 5200. They said they stopped using it more than 15 years ago when the controllers stopped working. It had been sitting in a closet ever since.

I am a bit of a game geek. I grew up playing a 2600, a NES system, a Genesis, Xbox, and an Xbox 360. I put myself through college by working on Pinball machines, and working in an arcade back around when Williams was in its heyday with Mortal Combat (1&2). In the past I have built a MAME machine, and I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous.

The system boots up ok, and after much reading on the controllers, I have one controller that works about 90%. Both of the controllers appear to have bad cables, which was a bit of a surprise to me. The controllers have Rev. 7 flex boards in them that are in pretty good shape. I have cleaned off the contacts, and put metal tape on top of the old carbon disks. However, on one controller, I can not get a signal trace from the #7 pin to the lead where it plugs into the flex board. On the other controller, I have the same situation on the #3 pin.

Being that the #7 pin has the start button on it, that controller is useless, so I cut the cable just above the plug to check to see if the plug was the problem. However, the problem in not at the plug, so I have to assume I have a busted wire between the flex terminal and the end of the cut cable. I am glad it is just a standard 15 pin plug, I just need to find a cable, and I think I can build a new one.

I could use one bit of help with the rebuild of my controllers: Does anyone have a list of the pin-outs and the wire colors that go to each pin? It would make replacing the cable a lot easier.

Thanks,

C. Alan

Last Thursday, I was at my in-laws house, and they told me that they had an old atari that they were going to throw away, and they wondered if I would like to have it. I was expecting a 2600, and I was much surprised when they presented me with a 5200. They said they stopped using it more than 15 years ago when the controllers stopped working. It had been sitting in a closet ever since.

I am a bit of a game geek. I grew up playing a 2600, a NES system, a Genesis, Xbox, and an Xbox 360. I put myself through college by working on Pinball machines, and working in an arcade back around when Williams was in its heyday with Mortal Combat (1&2). In the past I have built a MAME machine, and I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous.

The system boots up ok, and after much reading on the controllers, I have one controller that works about 90%. Both of the controllers appear to have bad cables, which was a bit of a surprise to me. The controllers have Rev. 7 flex boards in them that are in pretty good shape. I have cleaned off the contacts, and put metal tape on top of the old carbon disks. However, on one controller, I can not get a signal trace from the #7 pin to the lead where it plugs into the flex board. On the other controller, I have the same situation on the #3 pin.

Being that the #7 pin has the start button on it, that controller is useless, so I cut the cable just above the plug to check to see if the plug was the problem. However, the problem in not at the plug, so I have to assume I have a busted wire between the flex terminal and the end of the cut cable. I am glad it is just a standard 15 pin plug, I just need to find a cable, and I think I can build a new one.

I could use one bit of help with the rebuild of my controllers: Does anyone have a list of the pin-outs and the wire colors that go to each pin? It would make replacing the cable a lot easier.

Thanks,

C. Alan

Easier to buy them (the cables) new from Best Electronics. Just shell out $50.00 and get 2 rebuilt ones from best with the gold contacts. AWESOME...

Welcome to AtariAge!

Yeah the controllers usually don't work unil you refurbish them or clean them at least. Usually cleaning the carbon dots (scraping them across a piece of paper) and the flex circuit. It'd probably be much easier to buy a new cable from best-electronics (as stated above) then to try and rig something up, and if your serious about the system get the gold rebuild parts as well. If a fun system to play around with once you get a good controller.

Anyway, if your feeling adventurous here's a pinout for the controller: http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpa...njoy_atari_5200

BTW if you jumper pins 4 & 7 together at the controller port, with wire or paperclip, you can get the game to start, then just plug the controller in to play.