IGNORED

Is it worth picking up a 5200?

Tom_Explodes

That's not to say I think anyone would bother BEING in this forum if they didn't like it, what I really mean is... I have a 2600. I've been spending quite some time cleaning, fixing, collecting for and playing with it. So, I have a few questions. See, I'd like to possibly get a 5200 for Christmas, but barring that, I may pick one up myself. What I'm wondering is:

1.) How much will it set me back?

I don't have a lot of money to spend on game collecting of any kind, but I do like to do it. Is it likely to be rather expensive to pick up a used 5200 that works along with cables, controllers that work, and the like?

2.) Seeing as I have a 2600, should I get a 5200?

I know "most" people think that the 2600 is the be-all end-all of the Atari consoles, for reasons unknown to me. The better versions of several games for 5200 and just the idea of owning one is rather appealing to me.

3.) Should I just skip it and pick up a 7800 instead?

4.) Assuming all of these = get one, what are some games I should look for?

I'm not badmouthing the 5200 or anything of that nature, from what little I know I actually rather like it. I just don't know a whole lot about cost etc. and I guess I'd just really like to hear what people have to say about it. You guys here are great and I don't like doing anything Atari related without asking around first. So, any opinions on the subject would be very much appreciated. Hope I haven't taken too much of your time. Thanks in advance, everybody.

- Tom

That's not to say I think anyone would bother BEING in this forum if they didn't like it, what I really mean is... I have a 2600. I've been spending quite some time cleaning, fixing, collecting for and playing with it. So, I have a few questions. See, I'd like to possibly get a 5200 for Christmas, but barring that, I may pick one up myself. What I'm wondering is:

I don't have a lot of money to spend on game collecting of any kind, but I do like to do it. Is it likely to be rather expensive to pick up a used 5200 that works along with cables, controllers that work, and the like?

I know "most" people think that the 2600 is the be-all end-all of the Atari consoles, for reasons unknown to me. The better versions of several games for 5200 and just the idea of owning one is rather appealing to me.

I'm not badmouthing the 5200 or anything of that nature, from what little I know I actually rather like it. I just don't know a whole lot about cost etc. and I guess I'd just really like to hear what people have to say about it. You guys here are great and I don't like doing anything Atari related without asking around first. So, any opinions on the subject would be very much appreciated. Hope I haven't taken too much of your time. Thanks in advance, everybody.

- Tom

With properly working controllers I like the Atari 5200 very much. I recommend getting one although the 7800 is a good choice because it can also play the 2600 games and the controllers pretty much also work. Also sega master system controllers work really well on the 7800

Edited by midnight8

The 5200 is a great system to own. Just how the thing looks - its size and style - make it worth having. I love the look and feel of its cartridges - and if they weren't part of the fun, then we'd all have emulators or compilation carts. Short of PacMan Collection for the 7800, it has the best PacMan.

But, I'd recommend getting it only if you can deal with two things, somehow, some way - the controller issue, and, in the case of a four-port, if you have the right switchbox.

Now, if it's just about the games, you can get an Atari computer - 400, 800, 600XL, 800XL, XEGS - and play most of the same games. But if it's also about the hardware, then nothing compares to actually having the big, black beast.

I haven't looked in a while, but I think you should be able to get one with at least one working controller in the $50 range. Perhaps a bit more. You might want to get the core system and a rebuilt controller separately - it may work out to the same price.

I think the 5200 is a nice complement to the 2600. While there are some overlapping games that aren't that different on the 5200 (Activision titles, for example), there's some unique and quality stuff you can't find anywhere else. Pac Man is awesome, Missile Command is awesome. Qix and Pengo are both great ports. Even games like Breakout and Space Invaders seem to be a lot more fun on the 5200. I've had a 7800 since it came out, but I've gotten more fun out of the 5200. There's just... something unique about it. I think more care (generally speaking) was put into the 5200 titles than the 7800 titles due to where Atari and their 3rd parties were when it came out. Of course, the 7800 has Food Fight, co-op Asteroids and some other really great stuff.

Like Brian R said, getting an 800xl or XE is another good option, too, as it has a bigger library and a lot of the same games.

Definetly pick one up.

1) Costwise, a system with 2 working controllers should be in the $50 range. Probably a bit much, but worthwhile IF it comes with working controllers. There's a lot of debate on their ergonomics, I for one love them and think they are one of the best designed of the classic systems. That said though reliability is a real issue with the controllers. You can also get a majority of the library, or at least the great games real cheap, in the $3-$5 range.

2) Yes, still get a 5200. The 2600 is the king no doubt, but arguably pre-nes the 5200 is the 2nd best system.

3) Certainly get a 7800, but get a 5200 first. Much better system at least IMO. The 7800 has slightly nicer graphics, and an advantage in that you can use 2600 controllers. But more games than not are lackluster, and many games are only the slightest improvement over the 5200 versions (Ms PacMan, Robotron and Ballblazer noticably.)

4) PacMan Missile Command, Centipede (with the trackball it is INCREDIBLE), Robotron, Baseball, Adventure2, Galaxian, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon...man theres a ton of great games. Just avoid James Bond 007, Gorf, & Congo Bongo> Those are about the only real stinkers at least that I can think of.

Bare or minimally equipped Atari 5200s range between $20 and $40 on eBay. If you want more stuff with the system, it'll cost more money, but it's probably better to get a large package right from the start than buy the games you want separately.

Yes! Out of all the game systems out there, the 5200 feels the most like a sequel to the Atari 2600. It's got the same bright colors, and uses the same display techniques. However, it improves on just about everything the 2600 can do. It's got more memory for more faithful arcade ports, and more player/missiles for more intense video games.

No! Although it was developed just before Warner Bros. sold Atari, the Atari 7800 was more of a Tramiel-era system, with all that this implies. Some games on the 7800 are better than they were on the 5200 (Joust in particular), but you're not going to be able to play good ports of Moon Patrol or Wizard of Wor on that system.

Wizard of Wor

Moon Patrol

Megamania

The Dreadnaught Factor

Pac-Man (skip the misses, though)

Miner 2049'er

I actually own all three systems, and although my first hacks were for the 5200 (Pac Man Plus and Hangly Man), I had switched over to the 7800 almost completely.

Each system (5200 vs. 7800, because the 7800 natively plays 99% of the 2600 games) has it's own merits and drawbacks, and each has some exclusive games. (5200 has Countermeasure, Adventure II, and a few others, 7800 has Food Fight, Impossible Mission, and a few others).

My input is to just get both :)

... that being said, I would love to somehow port Countermeasure over to the 7800 some day... :)

Edited by PacManPlus

since I got my 5200 a couple years ago it has worked it's way to being my favorite atari console.

If you have a 2600 do not waste your money on the 7800 it is terrible, the 7800 exclusive games are terrible.

yeah... right.

That's why people love Food Fight. I'll do one better: I'll give the exclusives on the 7800 and *actually tell you why* they might be terrible:

The bad exclusives:

1) Karateka - Controls are quite possibly the worst scheme you can think of. Not intuitive in the least. Coming from the Apple II version (which was intuitive), it was very easy to play. It's also missing some key elements from the original version (e.g. being able to hit the bird).

2) Hat Trick - VERY choppy animation, sluggish controls.

3) Impossible Mission - we've all heard this one. The game really is impossible due to a programming bug. I don't get how this got past the testers. There is a patched version out there, though.

The good exclusives:

1) Food Fight - quick action, tight controls, ok graphics.

2) Desert Falcon - GCC's version of Zaxxon. Only gripe is that it's missing a 'height' indicator. But a nice shooter.

3) Scrapyard Dog - the 'Mario' of the 7800. My personal opinion is that it's quite fun, nice graphics. Fills a desparately needed void of a platformer on the 7800.

4) Crossbow is ok - not 'terrible', but most likely better with the light gun (which I'm working on getting).

... I was going to give Beef Drop, Froggie, and B*onQ, but then I remembered that Beef Drop, Frogger, and Q*Bert are available for the 5200. The 7800 versions of Froggie and B*onQ are much closer to the arcade versions than the ones put out by PB on the 5200.

The "I hope you guys like them" exclusives:

1) Pac-Man Collection

2) Asteroids Deluxe (should be available next week)

3) Space Duel (also should be available next week)

Notice I didn't even mention the controllers :)

Anyway, it all comes down to personal taste. I liked both systems, so I got both of them.

See? Isn't that much better than simply saying a system is "terrible" and not following up with an explanation?

Bob

since I got my 5200 a couple years ago it has worked it's way to being my favorite atari console.

If you have a 2600 do not waste your money on the 7800 it is terrible, the 7800 exclusive games are terrible.

yeah... right.

That's why people love Food Fight. I'll do one better: I'll give the exclusives on the 7800 and *actually tell you why* they might be terrible:

The bad exclusives:

1) Karateka - Controls are quite possibly the worst scheme you can think of. Not intuitive in the least. Coming from the Apple II version (which was intuitive), it was very easy to play. It's also missing some key elements from the original version (e.g. being able to hit the bird).

2) Hat Trick - VERY choppy animation, sluggish controls.

3) Impossible Mission - we've all heard this one. The game really is impossible due to a programming bug. I don't get how this got past the testers. There is a patched version out there, though.

The good exclusives:

1) Food Fight - quick action, tight controls, ok graphics.

2) Desert Falcon - GCC's version of Zaxxon. Only gripe is that it's missing a 'height' indicator. But a nice shooter.

3) Scrapyard Dog - the 'Mario' of the 7800. My personal opinion is that it's quite fun, nice graphics. Fills a desparately needed void of a platformer on the 7800.

4) Crossbow is ok - not 'terrible', but most likely better with the light gun (which I'm working on getting).

... I was going to give Beef Drop, Froggie, and B*onQ, but then I remembered that Beef Drop, Frogger, and Q*Bert are available for the 5200. The 7800 versions of Froggie and B*onQ are much closer to the arcade versions than the ones put out by PB on the 5200.

The "I hope you guys like them" exclusives:

1) Pac-Man Collection

2) Asteroids Deluxe (should be available next week)

3) Space Duel (also should be available next week)

Notice I didn't even mention the controllers :)

Anyway, it all comes down to personal taste. I liked both systems, so I got both of them.

See? Isn't that much better than simply saying a system is "terrible" and not following up with an explanation?

Bob

Karateka isn't an exclusive if we're counting the XE console as an alternative to the 5200. Though only the 7800 version is crippled...

and your listing like 4 games and homebrews don't count either. Commercial releases. I own 30+ out of which 2 are any good and yes I have Food Fight. But I also have games like Moto Psycho, Fatal Run, Rampage, and more uncommon games, and the only 2 games I have that are of any enjoyment is Commando and Dark Caverns. So to make an argument and list 4 games only proves the point the system blows if you can only list 4 games, the 5200 was a huge step in quality over the 2600, the 7800 not so much over the 5200. Even the most common games like Space Invaders, Moon Patrol, Jungle Hunt, are leaps and bounds better than their 2600 counter parts.

And i've never had a problem with the stock controller in fact I enjoy it.

Edited by Atari5200

I didn't list the other games because I really haven't played them much. ... and before you go off on that tangent, I have plenty of games for the 5200 I haven't had the chance to play either. I own every game in the 7800 catalog, and 90% of the 5200 catalog.

When I mentioned the controllers (or that I *didn't* mention the controllers), it was really because of both systems. I am partial to the 2600 joystick, so I am not *crazy* about either (5200 stock stick or the 7800 'ProLine').

Not trying to start any argument here, it's just that saying 'this system sucks' because you personally don't like it is a bit one-sided. I actually never had a 7800 until recently, and loved my 5200 back in the day (mostly for Pac-Man; no surprise there - oh, also Countermeasure). :)

Edited by PacManPlus

Definetly pick one up.

1) Costwise, a system with 2 working controllers should be in the $50 range. Probably a bit much, but worthwhile IF it comes with working controllers. There's a lot of debate on their ergonomics, I for one love them and think they are one of the best designed of the classic systems. That said though reliability is a real issue with the controllers. You can also get a majority of the library, or at least the great games real cheap, in the $3-$5 range.

2) Yes, still get a 5200. The 2600 is the king no doubt, but arguably pre-nes the 5200 is the 2nd best system.

3) Certainly get a 7800, but get a 5200 first. Much better system at least IMO. The 7800 has slightly nicer graphics, and an advantage in that you can use 2600 controllers. But more games than not are lackluster, and many games are only the slightest improvement over the 5200 versions (Ms PacMan, Robotron and Ballblazer noticably.)

4) PacMan Missile Command, Centipede (with the trackball it is INCREDIBLE), Robotron, Baseball, Adventure2, Galaxian, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon...man theres a ton of great games. Just avoid James Bond 007, Gorf, & Congo Bongo> Those are about the only real stinkers at least that I can think of.

IMO, Ms PacMan on the 5200 isn't very good at all. Very jittery, fickers, just feels off. PacMan is excellent. Different from the arcade, to be sure, but superb in its own way, a universe apart from the 2600 effort. And 5200 PacMan has the intermissions, where the computer cart doesn't. But Ms Pac stinks on both.

But on the 7800, Ms PacMan is very good, far better than the 5200 version. It actually seemed perfect until the 7800 PacMan Collection came along and showed how much better it could be.

Definetly pick one up.

IMO, Ms PacMan on the 5200 isn't very good at all. Very jittery, fickers, just feels off. PacMan is excellent. Different from the arcade, to be sure, but superb in its own way, a universe apart from the 2600 effort. And 5200 PacMan has the intermissions, where the computer cart doesn't. But Ms Pac stinks on both.

But on the 7800, Ms PacMan is very good, far better than the 5200 version. It actually seemed perfect until the 7800 PacMan Collection came along and showed how much better it could be.

Hmm...Ok decent point(s). 5200 MsPacMan is choppy in the earlier stages, but catches up after about the 3rd or 4th stage and from there is pretty awesome. Plus the sound on the 7800 version, while better than one would expect considering the limitations still just isnt right to me. I wouldnt say the 5200 port is straight up BETTER, but considering there *should* be improvement to me it's not as significant as it could/should be.

Okay, you've convinced me. Haha. I'll be on the lookout for a 5200 in the near future. ::shakes fist at ebay::

You probablly don't even have to go Ebay. Theres a copuple of members here who likely have ones for sale, and most likely thy will be 100% better shape than anything you'd get off ebay. Post a comment in the "wanted" thread, you'll probablly get several PM's.

I would say don't even think about it unless you plan on getting a redemption adapter so you can use some decent controllers. I had a 5200 and sold it because I couldn't stand the controller problems any more. I had Wico controllers, but they were only slightly better than the stock ones.

I would buy a 7800 first because there are no problems with the 7800 that compare to the problems the 5200 has. Then I would buy an 800xl computer because most of the 5200 games are available on the 800xl and it uses standard 2600 controllers like the 7800 does.

By the time you buy the 5200 console and the redemption controller and have them shipped to your home, you are looking at $100 at least. For that price you could buy both the 7800 and the 800xl and have 2 systems for the price of one.

Also, the 5200 system is huge and takes up a lot of space, and having a bunch of wires connected to it so that you can play on decent controllers makes it a messy system as well.

It's a shame too, because the graphics on the 5200 are great.

I would say don't even think about it unless you plan on getting a redemption adapter so you can use some decent controllers. I had a 5200 and sold it because I couldn't stand the controller problems any more. I had Wico controllers, but they were only slightly better than the stock ones.

I would buy a 7800 first because there are no problems with the 7800 that compare to the problems the 5200 has. Then I would buy an 800xl computer because most of the 5200 games are available on the 800xl and it uses standard 2600 controllers like the 7800 does.

By the time you buy the 5200 console and the redemption controller and have them shipped to your home, you are looking at $100 at least. For that price you could buy both the 7800 and the 800xl and have 2 systems for the price of one.

Also, the 5200 system is huge and takes up a lot of space, and having a bunch of wires connected to it so that you can play on decent controllers makes it a messy system as well.

It's a shame too, because the graphics on the 5200 are great.

From what I remember about having my wico sticks I remember them being very good on most games. There were a few like pac-man they didn't seem right on a masterplay interface w/ 2600 controller was better on that game. The 5200 controllers don't bother me very much tho, so maybe thats why I liked the wico sticks too.

I don't understand why you have to make a choice. Both systems have great games worth playing, and both are relatively affordable. If I had to choose just one, I guess I'd have to pick the 7800 because it's great to have the 2600 compatability too. Although I guess you can do that with the 5200 adapter also.......just get them both, ok? :)