IGNORED

to PERMANENTLY, DEFINITIVELY fix 5200 controllers

wood_jl

Ok, I'm somewhat of a newbie here. So I don't know if a general consensus has ever been reached as far as FIXING THOSE BLASTED 5200 CONTROLLERS.

An old friend - who has a 5200 from the original days of yore - asked me about it and I am curious myself. So SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME that there is some "perfected" way to upgrade the old controllers.

So I may pass this on to a (couple) old friends (we're in our crusty 30's now but remember when this stuff made its debut) tell me WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE to make perfected 5200 controllers a reality. So maybe some money needs to be spent. Where?? I am wanting a 5200 alone just for STAR RAIDERS because I sorta like the way the controller lends itself to that title.......I digress.. any ideas about REALLY FIXING 5200 controllers for the "long haul?" I've been away - HAS THIS BEEN DONE?????????????????????

Thanks in advance, real enthusiasts!!

James Wood

Laramie, WY

Do a search, there's tons of threads on fixing these controllers. Short answer, no its not possible to fix them permanently but you can make them work for quite a long time.

You want to do it right? Then take a stick in good shape, get a hold of the Best Electronics Rev 9 flex circuits, gold dot keypads and buttons and do the repair swaps. Calibrate it, close it back up and voila! That's as good as it gets.

Cue the tinfoil/cheapass repair advice... :lol:

Edited by remowilliams

From reading that page, I get the impression the fixed controllers are GOLD.

Yes, but they need regular use to keep them working

JUST GET AN ATARI 400!!!

Or an 800XL!! No tools, glue, foil or double-sided tape required!!! You also don't need a parts warehouse standing by. Just plug it in and play!!! Happy Holidays!!

I believe that the idea behind the all-gold contacts is to rid the controllers of this requirement. I admit it has been awhile since I've used my 5200 sticks (I took the cheaper route and didn't replace the flex circuit) but at the time when I replaced them, I didn't have to clean the flex circuit at all - they worked right away.

Since I haven't had long-term experience with the gold contacts, I could be wrong, but my initial experience with them is that they are excellent. :)

Not all the parts required are available with gold dots

They have the gold flex circuits, and all the pads are available as gold dot.

I am pretty sure that the gold flex circuit is relatively new (within the last year or two) - how long ago did you get your stick, mimo?

JUST GET AN ATARI 400!!!

Or an 800XL!! No tools, glue, foil or double-sided tape required!!! You also don't need a parts warehouse standing by. Just plug it in and play!!! Happy Holidays!!

What fun is that??? LOL