IGNORED

Custom Atari 7800 Controller Pad

doubledown

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=014

Well I had a little time the other night... and worked this out. Obiviously very similar to my recent ColecoVision version for those of you who follow my work, but something for the Atari fans here at Atari Age and across the world. I know others have talked about making these themselves before, but I hadn't seen where these had been offered for sale, so I stepped up. Not to mention I got out my 7800 the other night to play Pac-Man Collection that I got however many months ago and haven't had a chance to play yet, and remembered how horrible the Atari controllers were for playing any game that requires even 1 fire button for play let alone 2. I redesigned the controller label and the case artwork to try to capture the spirit and design of the 7800 and think it came out pretty well. For those of you who are still interested in a ColecoVision controller pad, don't fear I'm working on something right now and am just waiting on parts. Should have the unveiling exclusively here at Atari Age hopefully within a week. But for how here it is:

7800nescontrollercz3.jpg

7800casefrontpz7.jpg

7800casesidefx4.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=014

Very nice work!

Have you considered doing a Vectrex version?

Would I be correct to assume you're converting these from NES controllers? The B and A buttons could function as Vectrex buttons 3 and 4 (the most often-used buttons, iirc), and Select and Start could be 1 and 2.

Never thought about a Vectrex for one major reason, I don't own, or know anything about the Vectrex. I'd need an original Vectrex controller to map the wiring schematics for the conversion. Besides doesn't the Vectrex controller use an analog stick?

The Vectrex stick is analog, but only two or three games actually utilise that. Virtually every other game only senses absolute directions, if I'm not mistaken. So, digital controller conversions do work very well, except for those few games (Turbo and Hyperchase, I think?), and they're often vastly more comfortable to use than the stock Vectrex joystick.

And I'm sure there are Vectrex controller schematics floating around the internet. I know I've seen them when trying to figure out how to convert a Genesis controller.

@ Ianoid: your idea for 4 round buttons is awesome. The thing would look like a miniature Vectrex controller with a D-pad...and the buttons would be red, but that's actually pretty cool to me.

Almost seems like you'd be better off starting off with an SNES pad due it already having 4 buttons to start with. The controller and buttons could be dyed a different color to lose the standard SNES grey/purple color scheme. I found a document on line for the conversion, the biggest problem is I don't have a Vectrex to test it if I actually made one.

Now if somebody could convert a Dreamcast controller for the Vectrex and utilize the analog and the digital inputs, that would be awesome. I remember some time ago, someone was making adapters to use PS2 controllers, but they stopped making them.

Edited by SRGilbert

Now if somebody could convert a Dreamcast controller for the Vectrex and utilize the analog and the digital inputs, that would be awesome. I remember some time ago, someone was making adapters to use PS2 controllers, but they stopped making them.

The Drecmcast controllers would be a problem due to the sensors used for the analog sticks. Another option with a digital stick would be to start from scratch then you could make a controller with 4 buttons in a row to better match the look of the Vectrex originals. It'd cost more than a conversion from a NES or SNES, but it would cosmetically match better I think.