IGNORED

My new 2-port system plays Mountain King!

Jess Ragan

Talk about an unexpected surprise! I recently received an Atari 5200 in a trade, to replace one that stopped working. On a whim, I decided to pop in my copy of Mountain King, even though this game generally doesn't work on two port systems. To my surprise, it ran perfectly... and now I'm starting to wonder why. Was this system shipped back to Atari for a replacement BIOS, or were there a few two port models that could run these games straight out of the box?

Talk about an unexpected surprise! I recently received an Atari 5200 in a trade, to replace one that stopped working. On a whim, I decided to pop in my copy of Mountain King, even though this game generally doesn't work on two port systems. To my surprise, it ran perfectly... and now I'm starting to wonder why. Was this system shipped back to Atari for a replacement BIOS, or were there a few two port models that could run these games straight out of the box?

Mine also runs this game. I did not even know there was a two port issue on this one. So there must have been a few

Yes, there are some 2 ports out there that have the original BIOS from the factory instead of the the revised one. Looks like you guys lucked out. :)

Mitch

Yes but the 2600 adapter will probably not work :roll:

Actually, they're two different issues. The 4-port bios wasn't the problem with the 2600 adapter it was something on the 4-port motherboard.

Yes, there are some 2 ports out there that have the original BIOS from the factory instead of the the revised one. Looks like you guys lucked out. :)

Mitch

Yes but the 2600 adapter will probably not work :roll:

Actually, they're two different issues. The 4-port bios wasn't the problem with the 2600 adapter it was something on the 4-port motherboard.

Oh, I see now

Later releases of the 5200 incorporate some minor hardware changes. Controller ports 3 and 4 have been eliminated, ...

Three pins on the cartridge connector have changed to accommodate the new 2600 adapter.