IGNORED

Morphing a picture on a pc (8-bit related).

Shannon

How hard to you all think it would be to take this image create an animated gif that would morph the xbox "x" into the atari fuji symbol and the word x-port into the word Atari?

post-3211-1197181419_thumb.jpg

Thanks.. (I wonder if I should post this over in off-topic/computers, science & technology)...

Edited by Shannon

There are morphing apps and even webpages that let you upload 2 images and receive an end-product which you can save (no, I don't have any links).

So long as you can get the end product as either a GIF or series of BMPs, you could then import them to the Atari.

For a GIF, you'd want to then convert each frame to a BMP anyway.

From there, you'd want to compress the first image.

Since subsequent images are close to the first one, it would probably be a case of having some sort of differential algorithm which specifies which elements of the picture change.

I remember Cyberpaint on the ST used a kind of RLE with Exclusive OR of data from one frame to the next. That enabled it to store fairly complex animations in a small amount of space.

Whether such an application is available for the A8 - no idea.

Thanks for the suggestions. FYI the end product would not be displayed on an Atari. It's an opening screenshot for an emulator. I thought it'd be cool to have it morph into the Atari Logo. :D

There are several other menu screens that I've been wanting to modify as well but I don't exactly have the greatest graphic skills. I could probably hack something together. But it'd be nice to do something with a more "modern" sheen to it. Shiny and lots of transparency. :lol:

What I would like to do for the above picture is take maybe one of those Atari logo's where the colors rotate (like the 5200 startup screen) and change the colors to shades of green (like above image) and then have it switch to color. (moving from the top of the logo down as if the color was covering up the green). This would occur, of course after the morph effect..

Edited by Shannon

• 4 weeks later...

lol. I seriously did consider the THX sound. Crazy minds must think alike. :lol: But I decided it was better to keep to original Atari created sounds.

I've been tweaking the code for the xbox atari 8-bit emulator. Unfortunately it does not support sound file play on startup. But it's probably something fairly easy to add. It doesn't support .avi playback either.

The skin functionality is pretty basic. You can change the background graphics, fonts, create sprites (numbered picture files) that have a few features like boucing around the screen etc. It can play .wav files while moving around in the menu and .mp3 files as background music.

I eventually would like to change the default background music. This is where I contradict myself a little because I'd like it to be based on classic Atari tunes but with a more modern "tracker" feel to it. Maybe classic Atari tunes with a techno or modern beat?

It'd also be kinda cool to add in .sap playback support but that may be a long while.

Edited by Shannon

yeah sadly there don't seem to be many remix type stuff for the Atari. Mostly just C64 or Amiga stuff. lol

There is a song called Pacman-Game over on the SAP archive that is kinda the style I was thinking, although it is not based on any particular atari 8-bit game. The mule remix is pretty good.

Edited by Shannon

Any chance you can fix the terrible sound in the emulator? That's the only thing stopping me from using it on my XBox.

Stephen Anderson

Yeah that was the first thing I fixed among other things. It was keeping me from using the xbox as well. It is really nice to be able to play this stuff on the Xbox without the cruddy sound. :lol: But at the moment the new pokey emulation cannot do vol only sound (digital) so the "old" pokey emulation still has to be used. But other than that it sounds fine.

Once I'm done upgrading the core, if that does not get the vol only sound like I want it I'll probably talk to the guy who ported atari800 over to the GP2X. I know that he was having some sound issues so I'm hoping he will have some insight.

Edited by Shannon