IGNORED

What's wrong with 5200 controllers?

Tom_Explodes

And of course, there's the 2600's ability to blow up power supplies when you plug/unplug them.

Maybe Atari just wasn't destined to make reliable hardware.

I've never heard of 2600s destroying power supplies like that. Perhaps AJ could chime in on this?

It's because of the connector they used. It's possible to short the power supply when you connect it to the system or disconnect it from the system.

If it's connected to AC while you're messing with the system plug, there's a chance you can blow it out. Probably just a fuse, but they're sealed pretty good.

Dunno how often it happens, but it does happen. So connect AC last, and disconnect AC first. Or keeep some spare 9V supplies handy.

5200 controllers get way too much of a negative rap... they aren't nearly as bad as the Colecovision controllers, those squat joysticks cause cramps and the fire buttons contribute additional anquish to ones hand. The keypad was nice and easy to use.

On the other hand, the 5200 joystick stalk glides smooth and nice, yeah it doesn't self center - a serious flaw for 4 way games like Pac Man, it made Asteroids impossible to sell so that got canned, though its not that much of a loss, I actually think the 800 version is a better version of Asteroids.

The numpad is okay, but the firebuttons are the worst, thats the main flaw I see in the controllers, those needed to be solid plastic buttons and the squishy crap that Atari put into the them.

While big, they are very comfortable, more so then a 7800 joystick.

Curt