IGNORED

Having serious trouble replacing mylar flex circuits.

Tom_Explodes

Sounds like you are doing some things wrong there. The start button pad unit and bezel should be removed (to make your life easier) as part of disassembly, so there is no 'get the thing under' to worry about.

Some instructions at BE's site

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm

Also a post from Lord Thag http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113543

Edited by remowilliams

Use a small straight blade screwdriver on the short ends of the frame around the buttons to pry the frame off. Then the elastomeric buttons come out. Now you can easily put the mylar through the slot, and then after the case is completely assembled, put the buttons and frame back on.

P.S. It's better to remove the frame and button trio before opening the case, to reduce the chance of damaging the mylar.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

A long time ago I didn't realize that the top bezel came off either. Something happened to the controller and it wouldn't go down. So being and inquisitive eight year old I took it apart and couldn't get the damned thing back together. It was 10 years later when I realized that the bezel came off.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't remove the bezel first, you can very well damage a good flex circuit. I've seen evidence in more than a few controllers I've found that someone probably ruined it by opening the controller the wrong way, then cramming it back together again the wrong way.

Also there are two kinds of bezels. One is more easily removed and is therefore better. When you have more bezels than good controllers, just throw the crappy bezels into your junk pile.

If you don't remove the bezel first, you can very well damage a good flex circuit. I've seen evidence in more than a few controllers I've found that someone probably ruined it by opening the controller the wrong way, then cramming it back together again the wrong way.

Also there are two kinds of bezels. One is more easily removed and is therefore better. When you have more bezels than good controllers, just throw the crappy bezels into your junk pile.

Is the beveled one the easier one to remove?

I remember having trouble pulling the straight-up ones out, but I went with beveled for aesthetic reasons.