IGNORED

Just unearthed my 5200

kroogur

I tried the search feature but didn't find exactly what i was looking for so i apologize if this has been discussed to death before.

I bought this system 9 years ago from Goodwill it is the console only, i found places to order the controllers but does this model (2 port) use the funky switchbox? and if so where do i go to get one? same again for the adapter. I will be trying to assemble this critter after the holidays but would like some info now so i can get an idea how much i'm going to be spending.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I tried the search feature but didn't find exactly what i was looking for so i apologize if this has been discussed to death before.

I bought this system 9 years ago from Goodwill it is the console only, i found places to order the controllers but does this model (2 port) use the funky switchbox? and if so where do i go to get one? same again for the adapter. I will be trying to assemble this critter after the holidays but would like some info now so i can get an idea how much i'm going to be spending.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

No,

If it's the 2 port you won't need a special switchbox or adapter as the power supply doesn't come from there as with the 4 port. Get the controllers from Best. The lifetime gold dotted ones are just unbelievable! There's still the non-centering issue, but you can get used to that with practice. I would also get any RF mods from them also, just to be on the safe side. I won't go anywhere else for Atari parts. They also have boxed games for VERY reasonable prices.

Peace

Yeah, Best-Electronics-ca.com is a really great place to get Atari stuff from. I believe you have to call in your order and they open in the afternoon (1pm). Consider adding the Rev.10 catalogue to your order, usually $10 alone, but I think there is a discount if added to an order. It is the "Atari Bible" everything is in there + tech articles and other stuff. Bradley Koda the person you will most likely talk to when you call, told me the website is only 10% of what's in the catalogue.

Resurrect that 5200! :)

• 5 months later...

**Update**

I came across a 4 port 5200 at ye olde flea market today it came with all the hook ups and one controller, so i get it home and get it all cleaned up, hooked up and all i got was a second or two of buzzing from the switchbox and then nothing at all. No picture or sound, no clicking nothing.

I checked the fuse in the power supply and all seems cool so is there anything to look for in the console or swithbox? and how would I go about opening the switchbox? I did a search but didn't quite get all the info i'm looking for thanks for any help!

**okay i got into the switchbox and nothing appears fried in fact it looks pretty clean in there now when I hook it up do i have o connect anything to the antenna?

Edited by kroogur

• 2 months later...

Kroogur (or anyone else that cares to reply), did this power supply just kill the switch box? Did a new power supply and switch box resolve the problem?

I just picked up a 5200 at the flea market today and it came with the c017945 power supply. I've spent a couple hours troubleshooting why the 5200 wouldn't work and eventually came across this thread.

I'm gonna try to take it back to the guy next weekend and see what he says. I would love to know how your situation turned out, so I can speak with authority on what might possibly be blown out by using this power supply. I've bought from this guy before, so hopefully this situation turns out favorably for me.

Any information you can provide will be helpful. Thanks!

Might be the same guy if he was at the Four Seasons Flea Market outside Youngstown Ohio at the end of May. He told me he travels around and gave me a card which I misplaced. But anyways yes that adapter did fry the switchbox the correct adapter and a new switchbox got me back up and running.

Best Electronics is the way to go! :)

Thanks, for the quick reply, that really helps! Glad to hear that yours is working! This flea market is about 20 miles outside of Detroit, so it's not impossible. :)

I'm hoping we can work something out. I want the 5200, but a PS and switch box from Best is $40, which is what I paid for the 5200, 2 games, and some 2600 games. Even if he gives me $20, then I can buy a new PS and mod the 5200 for direct power. Better yet if he has the correct PS. I wonder if it is possible to repair the switch box? Might be just as easy to do the mod, but I wish I could test the 5200 before modding it.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I am experiencing similar issues with both of the 4-port 5200's that I curretly have. I finally broke down and picked up a 2-port unit that works great. Problem is i now have two 4-port units, three power supplies and three switch boxes. For the life of me I cannot figure out if any/all of them are fried or good. I played a little musical chairs trying to mix and match everything and got one system to turn one, once. Enough to drive a guy mad. :x I would like to try the power mod, since I now have 3 5200 systems, but would like to be able to cofirm that the consoles I have are in good cond. before going through the trouble of doing the mod, particularly because it would be my first attempt at using a soldering iron. Anyway, my advice is get a two-port if you can. Much, much less hard on the sanity and wallet. :D

Hey guys, I am experiencing similar issues with both of the 4-port 5200's that I curretly have. I finally broke down and picked up a 2-port unit that works great. Problem is i now have two 4-port units, three power supplies and three switch boxes. For the life of me I cannot figure out if any/all of them are fried or good. I played a little musical chairs trying to mix and match everything and got one system to turn one, once. Enough to drive a guy mad. :x I would like to try the power mod, since I now have 3 5200 systems, but would like to be able to cofirm that the consoles I have are in good cond. before going through the trouble of doing the mod, particularly because it would be my first attempt at using a soldering iron. Anyway, my advice is get a two-port if you can. Much, much less hard on the sanity and wallet. :D

So the 2 port 5200 works great huh. :ponder: ............. :D Seriously. You might want to try to build a switch box for the 4 port. Cost is about $15 and takes about 45 minutes to build. It is in the thread below. It's near the bottom. Everything can be bought at Radio Shack. Buy the choke at Radio Shack instead of trying to make one by wrapping the wire around a bolt. I haven't had any problems but you will need a separate antenna/cable switch to hook to the new switch (Like what you would use on a 2600). http://www.atariage.com/5200/faq.html?SystemID=5200

Edited by ninermaniac