IGNORED

It finally happened less than 1,000 atari 2600 items on Ebay!

homerwannabee

Over the years since I have been collecting I have noticed that the amount of items for the Atari 2600 has slowly dwindled down bit by bit. Back in the day a few years ago it was pretty common for there to be around 2,500 to 3,000 Atari 2600 results when you typed Atari 2600 into Ebay's Search engine, but year after year that number got smaller. And today there are 992 Atari 2600 items on Ebay that are up for auction not including the Ebay stores. Marking probably the first time that there are less than 1,000 Atari 2600 items up for auction. I know it is a very trivial matter to a lot of people but I found it interesting none the less. :)

http://search.ebay.com/atari-2600_W0QQfromZR34

Can you believe for as long as I've used ebay (mid 90's or so), I can't recall a time I've ever typed "Atari" into it? :lol:

I probably am going to regret this but what kind of items do you search for on eBay?

Probably something a bit more specific.

When I first got back in Atari in 1999 I would enter "Atari" and I remember getting, I want to say, about 7K hits. I want to say it might have been been more like 12K hits. Ebay was awesome, and of course still is. But now days I tend to search for more specific items since my collections has more and more fleshed out over the years, so my searches only take up a page or two at best now.

Those 1000+/- Atari auctions shouldn't be on Ebay at all. Right now is the absolute worst time you could possibly auction something on Ebay. Buy It Now items sell well up until a few days before Christmas but auctions are crap. People are looking for gifts on Ebay around this time not adding to their collections. Ebay is probably about 50% of the business I work for and we have 0 auctions running now.

y-bot

I've done and am doing ok by my weak (not a business) standard. I sold a crappy photo set today that didn't sell last week. I am planning to try to sell through Jan and then take a break, hoping peeps will spend leftover xmas shopping money or gift money. I have nothing to lose but fees.

And not including stores in the tally is non-trivial. Alot of career sellers and fools who use stores (I shouldn't knock it till I try it) are using stores for run of the mill stuff much more than auctions.

Some of it has to do with sellers taking a break for the holidays themselves I would imagine being its the holidays for everyone and will be the Holidays til next year now. Im sure its a slower week normally every year regardless if the numbers are down. Youd have to compare weeks to exact past weeks. Dec. 24th -30th or the 4th week in Dec as they would be a lil difference in them but you cxant compare the week after thanksgiving or some random week or day to this week or day and have a reliable result of how much items being sold is truly down IMO. Just a thought, carry on. ;)

Tomorrow is 10 cent listing day so I expect this number to jump through the roof.

Thanks for that info! I usually don't get those e-bay notices until late afternoon of the day the specials are on. :ponder:

I've got some Commodore hardware and software I want to list.

(First, I've got to test the hardware.)