IGNORED

Was the Atari 1030 Modem Upgradeable?

Clint Thompson

I'm just asking as I obviously don't know, but.... was it? :

The schematics on this page: http://www.jsobola.republika.pl/schematy.htm refer to this as a test connector. These schematics are not official so we can't be sure why it was labeled that way, but where it connects to in the circuit seems to bear this out. For example there is a pin that connects to the power adapter jack, but no pin that connects to the regulated power. If the connector was intended for an add on it would probably have a connection to the regulated power.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Click on the link below to see what happens when an Atari 1030 modem is combined with an Apple Airport Express with a bad power supply. The end result is a strange looking wireless router/streaming client/print server.

Atari Apple Express

The +5VDC power supply circuit from the Atari 1030 was put into service to feed a +3.3VDC power supply constructed on a prototype board (and mounted upside down to fit in the case).

Check out the glue stick/light pipe on the right side of the Apple Airport Express - so the status LED can be seen from the back of the case!

This may be the only Atari Apple Airport Express in existence ;)

Edited by Forrest

Click on the link below to see what happens when an Atari 1030 modem is combined with an Apple Airport Express with a bad power supply. The end result is a strange looking wireless router/streaming client/print server.

Atari Apple Express

The +5VDC power supply circuit from the Atari 1030 was put into service to feed a +3.3VDC power supply constructed on a prototype board (and mounted upside down to fit in the case).

Check out the glue stick/light pipe on the right side of the Apple Airport Express - so the status LED can be seen from the back of the case!

This may be the only Atari Apple Airport Express in existence ;)

Now this is cool. So I imagine this works with your Mac, but put in an Atari case.

You know, this just inspires me to take my original 1030 modem and hack a 56K modem into it's power and somehow connect the serial somehow. (Might use "More Than Games" Speedier 19.2K SIO to serial module wired directly into the SIO port on the 1030 to achieve this, and then pack all into the case.

Don't ask me why, but I have a slight desire to get my original Atari equipment from back in the day updated to work in this day. Not updated my much mind you, my 400 will still have 48K, but maybe add the "Longhorn Engineer's" 5200 A/V mod (have talked to him on doing this) and for the 1030, just get that thing doing better speed, because 300 baud is really useless. Which is a shame really.

How little my dad knew that I would spend HOURS and HOURS online as a kid, starting with a $20 purchase of a used 1030 modem. :D

Thanks for the kind words :)

The Atari Apple Airport Express works with both Macs and PC's. The Airport Express was just 3 years old when it died suddenly - which is a lot less time than my Atari equipment worked. After I googled this problem, I determined this wasn't an uncommon problem and could be fixed cheaply - compared to buying a refurbished Airport Express for $79.

I choose the Atari 1030 modem case because it was plastic (didn't want to block the built-in WiFi antenna), it was the right size and according to ebay it was worth less than $5. If you look closely at the inside layout picture, the Airport Express is carefully wedged into the case on all four sides and there was no need to mechanically fasten the Airport Express.