IGNORED

Atari 1981 LCD Handheld Prototype

Curt Vendel

Yup,

You read it right, I am parting with one of the two known to exist Atari LCD handheld prototypes that I purchased directly from the CED engineer. Auction is only 3 days because all everyone ever does is bid at the last couple of minutes, so why drag it out, best of luck to the bidders, winner will also receive color copies of the marketing materials and photo's of the units as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190187215293

Curt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I collect handhelds even more so than Atari games and yet I wouldn't have paid $100 for this thing. A dead block of plastic or even wood shaped like what a game that was never made was supposedly going to look like? Whoo hoo.

How do you know there aren't prototype electronics in it? Could these be made to work?

I guess since they never really got the attention they wanted from handhelds at that time they would have produced a working unit. Or is there? Their has to be a working prototype tucked safely away in someones safe. I guess it would go for the same price as a 1944 copper penny? If time and effort went into actually creating the case I would say a working unit exists somewhere. :ponder:

Quote from auction description...

This auction is for the non-working Super Breakout

LCD handheld.

Ya, but it is a never-working prototype, it's not like it's broken which is what non-working generally means.

It is not even an "LCD handheld" for that matter. I'd say the buyer has a case for SNAD if they wanted. A mock-up is what it is.

I would hope the buyer did his homework before dropping most of a grand on this, but the seller wasn't very generous with the information...