IGNORED

Congo Bongo... grumble grumble...

Tom_Explodes

I dunno aboutthat. I loved the Coin Op. Course I could never get past the second screen...

Now, all home versions except the CV version suck. Heck, I like the 2600 version better than the 5200 and 8 bit versions (but not much more)

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently replayed Congo Bongo, remembering fondly when I used to play it on my Apple II+... sadly.. the game wasnt quite as fun as I remembered. :(

But I ended up writing a retrospective article about the game and its concept on my website areyouinsane.net

check it out:

http://www.areyouinsane.net/index.php?opti...s&Itemid=53

if the above link doesnt work, just go to

http://www.areyouinsane.net

and search for congo bongo in the search box

It's all about the Panama Jack hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, count me in the scant group of Congo Bongo fans. I'll admit it's almost purely nostalgia, not gameplay ... it was one of those games purchased with newspaper delivery money and allowance. Sega's commercials were pretty kick-butt, although the animation was way misleading.

Much like the controllers, I don't mind it too much ... the pale colors, etc. I never really played the arcade version, so I had nothing to compare it to. The simple jungle beat, the trendy man-verse-ape theme is just cool.

Does the 5200 version only have two boards? I forget ... I know that I borrowed a friend's Coleco version to compare, and (sadly) it's a lot better and has one more screen ...

Because of this thread, I went and checked out the 2600 ROM ... couldn't figure out how to get across the water at the top of the board? Any Congo Bonog nuts should feel free to help.

Never saw the Intellivision version in action - how bad was that? I can only imagine ...

How's the O2 edition ... just kidding.

Ron!

The arcade version of Congo Bongo was fine. Every home version however was botched. Sega just dropped the ball big time with it. I couldn't understand why they didn't program all four screens and only programmed TWO.

Cause having 4 screens would have sold prob 3 more copies ;)