IGNORED

800xl/600xl Label Color Variations?

Retro Rogue

Just wondering if anyone knows anything regarding the label variations (the labels on the bottom of the computer), as well as how it effects things revision wise.

I picked up a collection the other day (4 800xl's, 600xl, 130xe, 3 1050's, 1010, cables, power supplies, games all for $75) and noticed some differences when taking these all apart for thorough cleaning and inspection.

3 of the 800xl's are white labels, with Rev C motherboards and some differences in keyboards (2 have 600xl keyboard pcb's).

One of the 800xl's and the 600xl are dark brown labels with a different design, and a different pcb revision. Both have the same keyboard brand (different from the others), and a post on the pcb for a grounding wire that runs from the cartridge port to the post. They're not hacked, it was made like this.

Wires, joins and components that look like they just don't belong there are fairly common on the XL/XEs.

So far as things like keyboard and case go, it's been discussed - there are at least 3 or more keyboard variants among the XLs, which are easily distinguishable due to flat/stepped key rows, and different printing on the keycaps, e.g. inverse or simply surrounded by a rectangle TAB key.

I'm fairly sure there are also at least 2 console key typefaces.

There are also various motherboard revisions, including the very latest ones which had the Freddie chip onboard.

And, with the 600XL, I believe all PAL variants came with a monitor port, whereas NTSC missed out (?)

Thanks Rybags. I kind of thought that, but I guess what I'm looking for as well is what generations the label color/design switches were.

Just looked and my dark label 600xl has a stamped manufacturing date of December 13th, 1983. So I'm going to assume the dark labels are the earlier models.

Edited by wgungfu