IGNORED

Is the 5200 Recommended?

Atari2008

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so I'm excited. :) I've been a fan of the 2600 for quite some time although it was before my time and I had a 7800 a few years back, although my fondness for that machine hasn't lasted. I've been doing research into the 5200 lately since it's the one Atari machine that I never thought to look into since it was hardly mentioned compared to the other two. I've read varying things on the 5200...the infamous controllers, the size of the system...and most seem to end with the conclusion of getting an Atari 800 computer instead.

So, I'm curious...what ways have people gotten around the controller issue? The malfunctioning and non-centering seems most scary to me. I know there are options like the Wico stick and adaptors...which ones do people prefer? Are they readily available? Also, are the games between the 5200 and Atari 800 so similar that it's just best to go for the computer? Or does the 5200 have any unique gems or interpretation of games?

Also, whats the 5200 homebrew scene like?

Thanks!

Welcome, here is my opinion and stories in regards to the 5200 that may or may not help you.

The 5200 was the last Atari System I needed to complete my collection in regards to Atari Consoles. I have an Atari XE, which I believe plays 400/800 games as well as XE, but never got into the system. To this day I kick myself in the ass for not buying a 5200 system sooner, it quickly became my favorite classic system.

As for the controllers. I think i'm probably one of the few that prefer the stock controller and find nothing wrong with it. Though I will admit, getting a working one may be tough, but I was lucky enough to get one that works good. I think it basically comes down to personal taste, but I would suggest you at least give the stock controller a chance before you write it off completely, some games need practice to get the controls down, but once your comfortable with it, you shouldn't have a problem.

As for the Homebrew scene, there are a handful of homebrews, and there are also quite a bit of 8-bit computer conversions, I know i have two myself, Spy Hunter and Donkey Kong JR, and they both play well on the 5200, Donkey Kong is one of those games that it takes some getting use to with the controller, but all in all, no problems.

I'm not to sure how many exclusive titles the 5200 had, I know Counter Measure is one, and The Dreadnaught Factor (probably my favorite 5200 game) is another not found on any other Atari system to my knowledge.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't even consider getting a 5200 unless I planned on buying a redemption adapter to go with it. This adapter lets you use stock 2600 controllers or 7800 controllers depending on which version of Redemption you get. You can also use SMS pads with it. They cost about $50 when they are in stock at the AA store.

Edit: It appears the redemption adapters are gone for good. http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...p;hl=redemption

Edited by accousticguitar

The 5200´s my favourite classic console. I usually play the games with a Wico stick, but as far as I recall both my stock controllers work quite well on their own also.

I don´t think there are any "5200 exclusives" that warrant a purchase, but some of the versions on the 5200 are way better than elsewhere IMO. That said, all the Activision games on the 5200 are more or less identical to their 2600 counterparts, which I always found a bit ridiculous.

It´s a cool system, but hardly a necessity. If you´re a collector, only two or three games are hard to come by; Bounty Bob Strikes back, Meteorites and SW: Death Star Battle.

Hope this helps.

i think that's a bit harsh, as much as i like the stock controller, I will admit it has it's faults, but to say to completely bypass the system because of the controller is a load of bull. The Intellevision and Colecovision both have worse stock controllers in my opinion.

This was in reference to Accousticguitars post.

Edited by Atari5200

The controllers are hell.

They really really are.

The exception to this is Space Dungeon and Robotron.

If you have two working stock controllers (stop laughing... HEY! ... STOP LAUGHING!) and the joystick coupler,

these games are brilliant.

Every other game (yup... every one of 'em) is just about unplayable with the stock controllers.

That's where the Wico or Action Replay comes in.

If you like arcade games, the 5200 is great.

Games that make the 5200 worth it?

Adventure 2

Space Dungeon

Pitfall 2

Frogger 2

Montezuma's Revenge

Most of the arcade ports

I have a feeling that on a forum like this, you're not going to get a lot of people who will tell you "No, don't buy an Atari 5200."

For what it's worth, I think the Atari 5200 is a great system. It was truly ahead of its time, as recent homebrew titles will prove, and it has several advantages over the Colecovision thanks to a custom architecture that lends itself better to video games. Scrolling playfields are smoother, colors are brighter, and the analog input offers more precise control IF you replace the accursed stock controllers with a PC flightstick or Wico Command Control.

The only trick is finding an alternative to the stock controller. My suggestion would be to build an adapter, or have one built for you. It will be less expensive than a joystick designed especially for the 5200, and more versatile to boot. You can plug in just about any controller for the 2600, Master System, or Sega Genesis... the only ones that WON'T work are paddles and other oddities. You might be able to get the Sega Activator to work, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Most definetly get a 5200. Arguably the best classic system out there with the exception being the 2600. There are PLENTY of great classic games to be had for cheap.

As to the being scared of the malfunctioning and non centering aspect of the controllers tow things you should know.

As to the malfunctioning...be afraid. Be very afraid. The fire buttons, while being positioned perfectly for easy access on the sife of the controller are prone to wearing out. There are ways to remedy this, some expensive, some practicially free. If you are VERY technicially minded and can manage to get a controller opened up and then put back together, you're fine. All you really need are a few slivers of tin foil. That and like I mentioned the ability to open the controller and fuddle it back together and you've conquered the malfunctioning part.

The second issue, the non self centering...bottom line is it takes a little practice to get used to them. I've always wondered just how often people have a genuine complaint about them as opposed to just bashing them because everyone says so. They're actually perfect for games like PacMan, Defender, Galaxian, Zaxxon, Star Wars....hell lots of them. There are a few that are significantly more difficult, but just give it a bit of a chance and practice you'll grow to love them. There are of course alternatives if a little practice is not in the cards for you like the Wico, redemption adapter, etc...

Homebrew-wise there sort of are some GREAT games. Unfortunately many of them were released years ago and for some reason are not for sale anymore, either because of copyright issues, or because the programmer stopped making them and refuses to allow new production.for new hobbyists to enjoy the game(s).

Still ther are enough homebrews still available, and with the original lineup available fairly cheap it's a great system.

Getting an 800 computer is a good alternative as you can use an adapter and load games from your PC, and most of them are pretty much identical plus there's a TON more games available. I haveboth but always play my 5200. the controllers never were an issue for me, and there's more charm (IMO) playing games on a game system than on a computer.

Lastly, it's true, the 5200 is STUPID big in size. But that's part of the "bigger is better" thinking from back then. It looks bad-ass on your shelf or entertainment unit!

Edited by jetset

i think that's a bit harsh, as much as i like the stock controller, I will admit it has it's faults, but to say to completely bypass the system because of the controller is a load of bull. The Intellevision and Colecovision both have worse stock controllers in my opinion.

This was in reference to Accousticguitars post.

What I meant was that if you are going to buy the system, plan on some kind of controller alternative.

I had a 5200 and got rid of it because it was huge, took up too much space, and the controllers suck. I had the 5200 Wico controllers, but they are not much better than the stock ones, and once you hook everything up there are wires strung out all over the place. What a mess! Now I have a nice, little 7800. It plays a ton of games, and 2600 controllers work on it. No more mess!

Thank you everyone for your responses, you've gotten me quite excited about playing some 5200 games. I'm downloading a 5200 emulator tonight and trying some of the games mentioned on this thread so I can get a feel for the system. Of course I know I won't have the full experience on emulation alone since I won't get to test out the controllers or see the gigantic console but I think it'll be a good intro and help me determin if the 5200 is right for me.

I did some research on Wico controllers and see that there are some listed on eBay...so does the Wico need an adaptor (like the redemption) to plug into the system or do they plug into the system directly? Also do many of the games use the keypad?

Since it keeps being mentioned just out of curiosity does anyone have the exact dimensions of the console? Does it have a brick-sized power supply like the Colecovision too?

I have to concur that the Intellivision and Colecovision controllers suck, I've owned both systems. The Intellivision's made me miss the joystick and the side fire buttons were a bit too tough to press. The CV was a bit better except for the weird knob at the end of the joystick and the fact that it just felt cheap. I was afraid I was going to break it or the console with much use. That's another question I had, how durable is the 5200? I found the CV to be one of the least durable systems I've owned, while the 2600 and 7800 proved to be tough.

Thanks again! Looking forward to testing out some games. :)

in short, i would recommend it. the graphics are awesome, and its got a lot of great arcade ports. any issues with the controllers are tolerable when you factor those two points in. many people have issues with the controllers, but the console itself performs quite well. plus, there are alternatives for the controllers.

Thank you everyone for your responses, you've gotten me quite excited about playing some 5200 games. I'm downloading a 5200 emulator tonight and trying some of the games mentioned on this thread so I can get a feel for the system. Of course I know I won't have the full experience on emulation alone since I won't get to test out the controllers or see the gigantic console but I think it'll be a good intro and help me determin if the 5200 is right for me.

I did some research on Wico controllers and see that there are some listed on eBay...so does the Wico need an adaptor (like the redemption) to plug into the system or do they plug into the system directly? Also do many of the games use the keypad?

Since it keeps being mentioned just out of curiosity does anyone have the exact dimensions of the console? Does it have a brick-sized power supply like the Colecovision too?

I have to concur that the Intellivision and Colecovision controllers suck, I've owned both systems. The Intellivision's made me miss the joystick and the side fire buttons were a bit too tough to press. The CV was a bit better except for the weird knob at the end of the joystick and the fact that it just felt cheap. I was afraid I was going to break it or the console with much use. That's another question I had, how durable is the 5200? I found the CV to be one of the least durable systems I've owned, while the 2600 and 7800 proved to be tough.

Thanks again! Looking forward to testing out some games. :)

The wico needs to be specifically for the 5200, it also needs to come with a "Y" cable to plug the original 5200 stick into for the start/pause/reset/number keys.

Wico made 5200 controllers and 2600 controllers. They look different, so you might want to find a picture of a 5200 controller so you know what it looks like. The 5200 console is sturdy. You might want to think about getting a 2 port model since they hook up the same as a 2600 does. The 4 port model uses a special switchbox that you plug the power supply into. The 5200 does have great graphics.

atari 5200 and lynx are the best in my opinion as far as good games to bad game ratio. There's so many good games on the 5200.

as long as you get a pair of working 5200 controllers, you'll be fine. you ll have to get used to them, but the stock controllers are better than the 2600 and 7800 to me.

space dungeon, robotron, star raiders, countermeasure, zenji, centipede (trackball) are all examples of gems on the 5200 that other systems cant play the same.

I just want to say that I not only have 1 fully functional controller.....but 4 of them.

All I need, are a game or two that allow 4 players......and 3 more players.

:ponder:

Same problem here man. I had 6 busted controllers. A little tin foil, a LOT of patience and I now have 4 perfectly functional controllers. Two of them are in a storage bin being lonely :_( . I only have two out for use for when I play robotron. Other than that...just me, just one controller. Once in a while my kids play, but never with or against me since I show no mercy :twisted: (hey...they smash me at Halo so why should I be nice to them playing Castle Crisis?)

To be honest, I've done absolutely nothing to the controllers except to give them a good external cleaning. They came with the 2 5200's I bought at a yard sale/flea market. I got about 8 carts with it....cost me all of $10.

And before anyone asks...no, I'm not looking to sell them at this time.

The controllers are hell.

They really really are.

The exception to this is Space Dungeon and Robotron.

If you have two working stock controllers (stop laughing... HEY! ... STOP LAUGHING!) and the joystick coupler,

these games are brilliant.

Every other game (yup... every one of 'em) is just about unplayable with the stock controllers.

Actually, you only need ONE working controller for Space Dungeon and Robotron.

Since it's the buttons that fail almost invariably, and stick 2 only uses the directional control...

And don't blame the tools because you can't handle them.

Most of the 5200 library is quite playable with the stock controllers. Maybe not optimal, but playable.

I recommend the 5200. Even if only to look at.

But I love the stock controllers(when they work). The controller reliability is certainly an issue, though.

And to add to the list of reasons to get it: Best version of Qix in existence(ignoring emulation).

Quick reply to the original post:

I find that the 5200 and the 7800 counter each other. Judgind by what I've read, many people prefer one over the other by a great deal. I'm in the 7800 camp, although I still use my 5200 sometimes.

Even for a die hard 7800 fan, yes, the 5200 is still a worthy investment.

EDIT: The opposite is true, also, so you die hard 5200 fans all need to go buy a ProSystem NOW. :P

Edited by shadow460

And to add to the list of reasons to get it: Best version of Qix in existence(ignoring emulation).

Exactly. Couldn´t agree more.

Although I´ve mentioned these other great games in different threads previously, I´ll repeat myself here. Rescue on Fractalus, Gremlins and Berzerk are all amazing games on the 5200.

Regarding the repro/homebrew scene, Adventure II and Rent Wars come highly recommended also.

Edited by Michael_

EDIT: The opposite is true, also, so you die hard 5200 fans all need to go buy a ProSystem NOW. :P

I got one!

You're right though...the 5200 and 7800 are acquired tastes, there is a lot if competition between the fans.

Thats because the 7800 is teh suck. :P

Just kidding.

And don't blame the tools because you can't handle them.

(saws the head off a claw hammer)

Here, pound some nails into this oak table. If you can't do it, it's your fault!

A better analogy would be having a nail gun and not plugging it into the wall and whining it doesn't work, saying F! this thing! and going back to using a hammer instead. Sure the nail gun is better, but that newfangledthinga-mabobby is jerst too dern'd...well dern I cant figguah it out!

Edited by jetset

So, I'm curious...what ways have people gotten around the controller issue? The malfunctioning and non-centering seems most scary to me. I know there are options like the Wico stick and adaptors...which ones do people prefer? Are they readily available? Also, are the games between the 5200 and Atari 800 so similar that it's just best to go for the computer? Or does the 5200 have any unique gems or interpretation of games?
I didn't get a 5200 until a year or so ago and I love the system. I ended up buying a rebuilt gold-dot controller from Best and it's been awesome. They walked me through the calibration over the phone, and it's been running fine since - only needing a little tweak every few months. Personally I think the controllers work great for most games (with some glaring exceptions) - they're a lot more comfortable than some other systems' controlelrs. The non-centering isn't too bad, either. I got used to it pretty quickly. However, there are some games where it causes big problems.

The only 5200 homebrew I have is Adventure 2 and it's awesome - definitely worth buying if you're at all a fan of the original.

Hard to say if a 5200 or 800xl/xe would be better. The 5200 has a unique charm, and some really cool exclusives; but the 800 series has a huge library and standard controllers. Some games like Missile Command and Super Breakout play better with the 5200's analog controller. Can you live without both systems? Can you!??!?!?!