IGNORED

Is the 5200 Recommended?

Atari2008

It seems like getting a 5200 with working controllers is a bit of a challenge. On eBay many of the auctions say "one controller not working" or "controllers not working" and the ones I'm completely avoiding are ones with the console not working or sold "as is." It looks like another option would be to get controllers rebuilt at Old School Gamer or Best Electronics.

To me, the 5200 experience blows away the 7800 experience. Other than Food Fight, I can't think of any 7800 game that is really worth buying that system for. The games look better but come across to me as weak NES kind of games. Even Pole Position II just doesn't seem that fun on 7800, don't know why. I know the 7800 has its fans, but I am not really one of them. 7800 has nice graphics, but the sounds are far inferior to the Pokey Chip sounds of 5200 games,and the 7800 controllers are certainly not "Good" to me, they cramp my hands just like 5200, 2600, and Colecovision controllers all cramp my hands!

Don't trust emulation of the 5200 as a quality indicator -- even though the Atari800win emulator is nearly spot-on, there is something lost -- the colors and sounds don't have the same 80's goodness & "oomph" on a PC as when playing on a TV set. The "feel" - be it timing or what - is also , for lack of a better phrase, "weakened" or "Watered down" on some 5200 emulated games. I prove this point to myself everytime I hook the 5200 up again, and fall in love with it again , even though I mess around with A800win emulated 5200 games more often.

Missile Command is a must-play. I like it more than the coin-op version I play on my PS2 on one of those Atari best-of discs. The thing you get with 5200 Missile Command that you don't get on any other system is full point-to-point analog control of your cursor. Press the stick up and half way to the left, that is exactly where the cursor will go. Center it vertically and push it to the right 1/3 of the way, that is the precisely corresponding spot (pixel!) on the screen where your cursor will go. The 5200 trak-ball is loads of fun too, but I actually prefer the feel of the stock analog stick in this game - it is easier and more accurate. When you finally see "THE END", you'll feel great every time!

Space Dungeon is a ton of two-handed, two-sticks fun too. Its a unique experience to be sure. Berzerk talks and the 5200 stick causes me no problems -- you see, when you squeeze a fire button, your man stops on a dime, so you really have no excuse for running into electrified walls due to the non-centering stick.

I just bought PS2 Taito Legends 2. It has coin-op Qix, which was the first game I started, because I love the 5200 version and I never got to play the coin-op. GUESS WHAT -- there is practically no difference! Whoever programmed 5200 Qix, they nailed it! It's a bit lower resolution, and the 2 Qix flicker a bit at times on the 5200, that is the only way I can tell the difference. Even the sounds are nearly identical. 5200 Qix is a fantastic game, unlike the crappy A8 version - but I believe you *can* get a disk image of ported 5200 Qix for your A8.

THe whole 5200 library is full of greatness. People say "yeah but the A8 computers have nearly all the same games". But you know, I rarely ever have seen an A8 computer or games for sale. I guess they are all online somewhere. You can get many of the common 5200 games all over the place for very cheap. Finally, why complain about the 5200/A8 Activision titles? Sure they are pretty close to the 2600 ones, but why mess with perfection? The 5200 ones have better visuals and sounds in every version - this makes a nice difference in Megamania and Keystone Kapers. 5200 River Raid and 5200 Pitfall 2 have much-enhanced gameplay too over the 2600 originals. (side-note - stay aways from 5200 Kaboom!, unless you get a home-created 5200 paddle!)

I better stop my book here before I really start to brain dump. :)

I must say, you're really getting me interested in actually playing a real 5200. I've started tracking some of the sales on eBay...I see functioning 5200's appear to be in some kind of demand. :) I think I am missing something with the emulation because I don't think the emulators even run properly on my computer. I usually get all sorts of strange color issues when I try to do full screen (with Atari800winplus) and with the kat emulator I can do full screen but the audio is all messed up. Plus I don't get to experience the controllers with emulation. So I'll be tracking some 5200's on eBay...looking forward to joining the club. :cool:

And I've owned a 7800, nothing against the system but it never really clicked with me, felt like an NES-lite and the games didn't seem as fun and inspired as those available on the 5200.

It seems like getting a 5200 with working controllers is a bit of a challenge. On eBay many of the auctions say "one controller not working" or "controllers not working" and the ones I'm completely avoiding are ones with the console not working or sold "as is." It looks like another option would be to get controllers rebuilt at Old School Gamer or Best Electronics.

Ithink almost all of the controllers I have ever gotten have been able to be fixed with a pencil eraser cleaning the contacts. The only problem I have with them is the side fire buttons which my hands don't like.

• 4 months later...

I finally got a 5200....and my first impression is WOW! From the moment I opened the box I was stunned by the system's immense size. Then the second thing I noticed was how attractively construced the system is, it's huge and cool looking. I will also say that I actually like the controllers very much. The joystick is more comfortable than the 7800 stick (I don't get cramps) and not as stiff as the Colecovision stick. Also, being a lefty it's nice that Atari included buttons on both sides, I used to struggle a bit with the 2600 sticks. Also, its really nice having all of the important functions - pause, reset, select - on the controllers themselves. I don't have to keep going back and forth from where I'm sitting to the system.

It came with one game - Berzerk - and it's amazing. The voice synthesis is really cool and impressive, and I found the controllers very responsive. I also like the graphics, very smooth animation and bright colors. And it's true, the emulators really dont do the 5200 justice as I had played this game on my comp and wasn't that impressed by it.

Overall, the 5200 is the first system that I've gotten this excited about and been pleased with in the past few years. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :D The 5200 rocks!

5200 is not a bad system. I've kinda fell in love with it while working on the analog control in Atarixlbox. As long as you have some decent sticks, or know how to repair them yourselves it can be alot of fun. And it's even possible to have pretty much a complete collection!!

I think all Atari consoles are excellent.All have their problems.I yet have to get a 5200 myself.The 5200 has a special version of Pitfall for it,and alot of other cool games.I cant wait to get one,i just havent found one or seen one in my life in the wild or even the stores when it was on the shelves,i dont even think it was sold in Canada.Ebay is getting too expensive,but that seems the only place to get one.

i'm glad you enjoyed the 5200. there are so many great games on the 5200. i own all of the atari consoles and the 5200 still is tied for #1 with my lynx. if you like the voice on berzerk, check out the baseball game (if you like sports). baseball for the 5200 was the best (imo) during that era...

The Atari 5200 is my favorite Atari console. Get your Atari 5200 AV and S-video modded and get a Atari Max multicart. Better then emulation. Also if you want to avoid the Atari 5200 controllers there are alternatives, like the WICO and the Competition Pro. I have both and they work great. The competition pro is a great digital controller that stops on a dime. But because it works along side the 5200 analog stick, you have to make sure the analog stick is centered so the digital stick acts correctly. I am sure somebody can explain it better then me.

My 5200 is in the process of being modded by Longhorn_Engineer. He did my 7800, as well, and I can't wait to get them both back. As much as I enjoy my other consoles, there's just something I really love about the 5200. It brings back the 80's more than any other console for me. I think it's better than my colecovision, which is odd, because that is the console I most wanted when I was a kid!

Despite my obsession with the 2600 (and it's pretty darn huge at the moment), I'm still looking "casually" for a 5200 system and a game or two. I've been searching Ebay, finding the prices a little to high (but some are quite reasonable), and searching the Chuck Wagon on occassion.

I have hopes that at some point down the road I'll get another 5200 to sit next to my 2600 and be a happy camper. The voice in Berzerk makes the entire system worth owning, in my opinion (without any modifications), and Ms. Pac Man and Pac Man are awesome titles, too.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my 2600 and all the titles I have for it (thus far), but I feel like I'm "missing" something, some Atari system I've wanted from the beginning of my collecting.

Steve

Sweet just got my 5200 4 port version :D it's so awesome and the switchbox isn't that bad and the controllers are actually very comfortable and don't cramp my hand at all and the self centuring problem isn't that bad..so far my favoriite games are joust,space invaders, and missile command is also exellent!!

You should definatly pick one up and do be afraid of the 4 port thats what I have and it's just fine the little box isn't that bad it's pretty cool actually.Hopefully im going to get robotron in the mail today really want to play it!!Get a 5200!Your going to love it!!:D

I had a 5200 back in the day for a while, and liked most of the games but absolutely despised the controller. Which, of course, is why I ended up selling the system. I might pick up a 5200 again sometime in the future, but not without finding some alternative to the controller first.

i'm glad you enjoyed the 5200. there are so many great games on the 5200. i own all of the atari consoles and the 5200 still is tied for #1 with my lynx. if you like the voice on berzerk, check out the baseball game (if you like sports). baseball for the 5200 was the best (imo) during that era...

I really like the system and am glad that I got it. It was the Atari system that I knew the least about...everyone knows the 2600 and the 7800 was recent enough that I was aware of it, but the 5200 was a complete mystery. I almost feel like I discovered a hidden gem from Atari. It's funny that you mentioned that baseball game, as part of my 5200 research I watched the commercials and YouTube and I was really impressed when they showed the baseball game and you hear "you're out!" I'm not into sports games, but I'm seriously considering picking it up, I find the voice synthesis very cool.

Also, I like the controller, I find it very comfy, and responsive, although it may be spoiled because the joystick does self-center, whoever owned it must have modified them. They feel great, and I like the look of them.