IGNORED

Atari 800 Case Color?

Tempest

What is the original color of the Atari 800 case? I've seen it in both a platinum looking color (like the Mac) and a beige color. I always thought it was a beige color, but now I'm wondering if it's not just some discoloration.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

Beige 800

Platinum 800

Tempest

I believe the original color probably varied a bit during manufacture, but that the lightest looking 800's are the most accurate representation. The darker/oranger ones are probably due to the effects of yellowing with age.

What is the original color of the Atari 800 case? I've seen it in both a platinum looking color (like the Mac) and a beige color. I always thought it was a beige color, but now I'm wondering if it's not just some discoloration.

Beige 800

Platinum 800

Tempest

Looks gray white to me in that picture.

Tempest

I think that's just a washed out photo. I'm going with light beige.

Yeah that's what I was guessing, but I wasn't sure.

Tempest

Yeah, It does look like a washed out image(too much reflected flash?), The one in the background looks about right though.

^ If the colour has deterioated because of air though like the SNES it'll be the same colour on the inside.

I guess if it is the same colour on the inside you could make a little scratch on the inside with a pin to see if it is the original colour.

Edited by Ross PK

Hi Matt,

Its just slight variations in the PMS color mix when the shells were shot during manufacture... I have on file the exact PMS color code Atari used, but it was always consistent. However sources of the ABS plastics varied as well, and their own chemical composition would react differently with the PMS color dies. Also, factories would "skimp" a little on the PMS color additives in a batch, so the color would be slightly more/less depending on the batch.

There have never been actual platinum 800's like the Mac or later Apple ][e's.... those were distinctively silverish and quite noticeable different from beige.

Curt

Beige 800

Platinum 800

Tempest