IGNORED

Mod my video mod for commodore monitor?

RangerG

I installed my 5200 video mod a long time ago just like Mr. Retrogamer in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...mp;hl=video+mod

I actually only use the video out and one audio out, as my tv had only two rca jacks (white and yellow). However, I have a mint commodore 1702 that I have set up now and I was wondering if I could modify it to go to the back of the monitor (audio/luma/chroma)? If it is easy I'll try it; othewise. I'll stick with it as is (and not risk messing it up) as it works on the front of the monitor. Thanks for any help!

Take care,

RG

Edited by RangerG

I'd say just move the chroma/luma wires back to their original position in the molex connector. I don't have the mod, but if you still have or can get the installation instructions you should be able to figure it out should be fairly easy. You'll lose composite out, as you used that jack for audio it seems, unless you installed another jack for it.

I got a bit fed up with the hassle of the separate chroma/luma RCAs as well (even though I built adapters for this type of stuff). I recently added a real s-video jack to the 5200, and moved the audio off the 1/8" jack to two RCAs. Solved that problem :D

But yeah in your case RangerG, putting the mod back the way it was designed will allow you to connect it to your monitor and enjoy beatiful s-video.

Hmmm, I'm trying to understand. Originally the mod was set for chroma, luma, video, and audio. The first three being rca and the audio being a jack. Right now I have video (or called composite video?) and two separate audios. The commodore has plugs for chroma, luma, and audio. Are the missing two spaces on the mod chroma and luma? Can I disconnect the video, connect the chroma to a plug, the luma to a plug, and put the audio together into one plug - to make 3 for the commodore. I suspect I'm simpifying everything too much. I'll look backover the mod instructions again.

Two questions -

A. Will chroma and luma look much better than the composite video, or is it not really worth it?

B. When I only use one of the audio to hook up to my tv/monitor, what is happening (in that it sounds fine to me)? Would a y-cable work?

Thanks for the help and patience. - RG

Here's a pic from 8-bit domain showing the mod as originally supplied:

http://www.8bitdomain.com/about5200.php?PH...a5911e6f7ffec5a

Move the purple and blue wire back to their original spots, looks like the the first and second spot at the bottom. Those will be the luma/chroma out. Move your yellow wire, comp out now, to either the spot for the red or white wire it will now be audio out or leave it alone and install new audio jacks somewhere. You will need to use a y-splitter on the outside audio jack if you need both left/right connections. The sound is mono, but sometimes you need both connections for some stereo TVs/equipment to give full sound.

Your s-video (chroma/luma) picture should be much sharper/less color bleed so I'd say its worth it. I'm a little puzzled as to why you changed it around anyway.

Good luck!

Prodos8,

Thank you! - those instructions are straightforward - I'll tell you how it goes. I just followed Mr. Retros way (see where I posted above) when I first got the mod in that my tv only had video and audio and it was easier for me to set-up and understand. Thanks again - I'll post if I have more questions.

P.S. The 1702 is mono, so just one audio will work fine, correct?

Edited by RangerG

Wow - easiest mod ever. I switched it all out. One of the audio wires didn't sound as good as the other one, so I connected the better sounding one. The colors are great! It's amazing how a 25 year old monitor looks better than my new tv. It's also feels right having the old monitor with the classic systems. Thanks for the help.