IGNORED

Civilization Revolution

Zeptari

After playing the demo a couple of times, I had to buy this. This must be what doing crack is like, because I can't stop playing it.

The greatest thing is the amount of endless possibilities and ways to play. It's also just as fun of a game at the beginning, the middle, and at the end. I don't feel a sadness when I have to start a new game from scratch, in fact that is one of the best parts, choosing which leader you want to be and exploring the new randomly generated world.

I've never played any Civ game before, so I apologize if this is old hat to you veterans.

. . . and exploring the new randomly generated world.

That's my favorite part of the Civilization games that I have played, but I bet this new version is even better. That's one of the reasons why I like E.T. on the Atari 2600. I like exploring the randomly generated zones. In a way, E.T. was kind of like Civilization before there was a Civilization.

I've been playing this near non-stop since I bought it. I'm working myself up to playing at King difficulty. I've won with 8 leaders so far. Next game I'll play with Lincoln on King and see how I do.

There are only a few flaws to the game. One is no local multiplayer (your buddy needs to buy the game and get on XBox Live to play). The game lags sometimes and spends a lot of time loading. The camera view is zoomed in just slightly too much, and there's no way to see an entire world map at once, leading to sometimes being confused about distances and the relation of one location to another. There are also a few minor bugs (sometimes units will automatically go into defend mode, wound markers sometimes appear and disappear, and when I have a Courthouse expanding my workable zones why can't I use the custom worker feature to move workers to the outer areas?). Those are mostly just nits, and certainly haven't damaged my experience to any appreciable degree.

The good simply outweighs the bad. The game's accessibility and addiction factors are high indeed. The visuals have a nice style and the game has a lot of personality because of it. It plays fairly quick (for Civ. My last game on Warlord was completed in about 3 hours). The sheer variety with 16 leaders, random worlds, game of the week scenarios, online multiplayer, and the infinite combinations during play is off the charts.

Tomorrow Soul Calibur IV arrives, but unless it's just beyond awesome, I think I have my game of the year already. Civ Rev is just freakin' awesome.

• 1 month later...

This game has not disappointed me at all. It's just as addicting as the PC games I remember playing back in the day.

I've convinced a bunch of my friends to pick this up & they've all ditched COD4 & we play CivRev every night. It's a blast.

Every game is different & presents so many different choices to make along the way. I compare it to a much more interesting version of chess.

Hopefully this sells enough copies so a sequel will find its way down the road.