IGNORED

Sega Genesis "cuttle cart" type multicart

HammR25

A Google search for:

Genesis multicart

turns up some hits. The first hit is for one for sale in the AtariAge Marketplace forum back in April.

Is there something specific that defines the "Cuttle Cart type" that you're looking for? Just curious.

Edited by BigO

There is also a cart that uses a Gameboy flash module I believe, though I forget who makes it.

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,4643.0.html

This is basically a combination of the Sega CD MegaCart and the genesis flash cart that are both available from tototek plus removable storage. It truly is the all-in-one cart of awesome, and I can't wait for them to release it.

Tototek sells a Genesis flash cart. I have one and it works like a champ. There is also a cart that uses a Gameboy flash module I believe, though I forget who makes it.

Yes, the Tototek products are the best. They're extremely reliable, and the customer service is also very good. In addition they're very developer-friendly.

How easy to use are these products for the Genesis and SNES?

Tototek's products have easy-to-use software that allows you to drag-and-drop the games you want over to the cartridge. Then they're quickly flashed over, and you're playing them in minutes. The software keeps track of how large in megabits each game is as you add them to the flashing list, and how much space remains.

Can they handle games that had battery saves?

Yes. In fact, the software allows you to configure which game will use which save area on the cartridge, to ensure that you have no conflicts. Game Genie and custom cheat codes are also supported.

How many Genesis Games can fit on 1 64M Cart, Not including SSF2 that's 40M = 5.00 MB

It depends on the size of each game. Tototek's software will show you how much space you're using, and how much remains, with each game that you add to the cartridge.

At maximum, you can fit around 31 *small* games on the cartridge. At minimum, you can fit around 7 or 8. Like I said, it all depends on the sizes of the individual games. Each combination is going to present you with a different number of total games.

Isn't there a way to recycle sega genesis carts? Desoldiering the roms from the cart and burning new roms and resoldering them to the boards? Do you think www.playgeneration.com does this, or do you think they had custom boards made?

Most of them use a pinout not related to any EPROMs you will find. And they use 40-pin (or 42- or 44-) 16-bit chips, so you ain't gonna burn those on a cheap-ass Willem, even if they did have an EPROM pinout. You can sometimes re-use a board to repair another game with a broken board, but that's it. Custom boards aren't that hard to make (compared to making any sort of custom PC boards in general), I've already done that myself.

Basically the only recyclable part of old games is the shell, and sometimes the memory chip, but really only the (rarely used) I2C EEPROM chips are worth the effort to desolder them. And maybe the battery controller chip if you make a board with RAM.

My suggestion is just to get a game copier unit. I've used a floppy-based game copier for development. Even then you likely still won't be able to run a dozen or so of the largest games. There were even some made that worked with both the Genesis and SNES. (mine is, but it was missing the SNES cartridge port adapter)

• 2 years later...
Multi-region too. Guess that means I can play the Mega Drive Smurfs game on a U.S. Genesis system.

You already can. I had the MegaDrive cart and it worked just fine on my USA Sega Genesis.

How about Xenon2? will that Megadrive cart work on a Genesis?

• 1 year later...

Hey Folks, sorry to Necro-post here. I am trying to locate a Multi-cart (one that I can load ROMs onto) for the Sega Genesis that I can use with my arcade cab (uses a Series II genesis console). I cannot find any up to date info on such carts via a standard Google search, but have heard that they are out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dane