IGNORED

proof that the 5200 joysticks suck?

phuzaxeman

if the 5200 joysticks don't work well or for some not even playable, then why are there a significant number of gamers using the stock setup and scoring high scores?

i'm not denying the unreliability of the stock controllers but i think when they are able to work, they work fine once you get used to them.

if the controllers are not playable (as some people claim) for the 5200 games, then you would think that all the emulation 5200 gamers or wico/aftermarket owners would win in the high score rounds all the time? what is your take? regardless, i think it's an interesting point.

It depends on what games you play with the stock controller. Games like Missle Command. Adventure, Centipede, Space Dungeon, and so fourth where you move a character freely around a screen works well. Gorf, Pitfall, Shamus, and Combat 2 are terrible! I keep falling in the water with the crocodiles in Pitfall. How do you even jump on the crocs head without the joystick moving you to fall in. Gorf moves too fast and you seem to run evertime into the missles. There is Gorf hack that fixes that though. Shamus is a game converted by classics that without a selfcentering joystick you keep running smack into the walls. I cant even keep the tank from moving in Combat 2. Now also know that both of my Atari 5200 controllers were replaced with the newer circuits and the gold dots or whatever. But the joystick still is a noncentering nuisance at times. I have no problem playing Pacman with it though as some people do. I tried every excuse to keep using the stock controllers until I finally broke down and got a Wico Command stick! Wow! What a difference! Not only is it still analog, it is self centering with the option to take it off. The controllers are nice looking. Red and Black! Some people may stick to the stock controllers just because of the authenticity. But the Wico's look like the old Atari 2600 controllers in a way. So it still looks authentic.

Question...

The self centering locks on the Wico. Is there a piece that goes in there to keep the controllers locked?

There are switches on the bottom that lock the stick into self-centering mode. You have to make sure the stick is centered to do so.

Question...

The self centering locks on the Wico. Is there a piece that goes in there to keep the controllers locked?

There are switches on the bottom that lock the stick into self-centering mode. You have to make sure the stick is centered to do so.

Yea I know that you have to center the joystick to lock it. But is there a piece that makes sure it stays locked. Sometimes it wiggles loose. Like placing a piece of plastic in the slot behind the lock.

I apologize for being unclear. I am trying to say that the 5200 stock joystick's domination of the HSC does not necessarily prove that it doesn't suck. There are other possible explanations for it, some of which were provided in your post. All in all, my feelings on the matter were summed up quite succinctly (with more clarity and eloquence than I can hope to muster) in Jess Ragan's post. What he said. :thumbsup:

Then we're in complete agreement. :)

Sorry for jumping on you. Was in a bit of a rush, and that last part crossed the line.

I even agree wholeheartedly with Jess' statements.

I generally like the things from a gameplay standpoint, but the reliability of a stock 5200 controller is somewhere between abysmal and appalling. It's kept me from recommending the 5200 to people before.

No problem. I really liked the graphics on the 5200. I should have bought a redemption adapter instead of the Wico joysticks. I might have ended up keeping it then.

if the 5200 joysticks don't work well or for some not even playable, then why are there a significant number of gamers using the stock setup and scoring high scores?

i'm not denying the unreliability of the stock controllers but i think when they are able to work, they work fine once you get used to them.

if the controllers are not playable (as some people claim) for the 5200 games, then you would think that all the emulation 5200 gamers or wico/aftermarket owners would win in the high score rounds all the time? what is your take? regardless, i think it's an interesting point.

It depends on what games you play with the stock controller. Games like Missle Command. Adventure, Centipede, Space Dungeon, and so fourth where you move a character freely around a screen works well. Gorf, Pitfall, Shamus, and Combat 2 are terrible! I keep falling in the water with the crocodiles in Pitfall. How do you even jump on the crocs head without the joystick moving you to fall in. Gorf moves too fast and you seem to run evertime into the missles. There is Gorf hack that fixes that though. Shamus is a game converted by classics that without a selfcentering joystick you keep running smack into the walls. I cant even keep the tank from moving in Combat 2. Now also know that both of my Atari 5200 controllers were replaced with the newer circuits and the gold dots or whatever. But the joystick still is a noncentering nuisance at times. I have no problem playing Pacman with it though as some people do. I tried every excuse to keep using the stock controllers until I finally broke down and got a Wico Command stick! Wow! What a difference! Not only is it still analog, it is self centering with the option to take it off. The controllers are nice looking. Red and Black! Some people may stick to the stock controllers just because of the authenticity. But the Wico's look like the old Atari 2600 controllers in a way. So it still looks authentic.

Question...

With Pitfall and the crocodiles, use the 2nd fire button. That jumps you forward and makes the crocodiles way easier than the 2600 version of pitfall. (for me) :)