IGNORED

(Insert stupid Blog name here) - Getting Squished

RSS Bot

When coming up with a label for Bob's port of Squish 'Em, I ran into the artist's equivalent of writer's block.

Y'see, I thought it would be funny to send Bob this for a label design:

squish_amiss.jpg

Just as a joke, of course. ;)

Unfortunately - that idea stuck in my head, and I couldn't get it out! But what I wanted, was something that implied some of the ideas in the classic Popeye cartoon A Dream Walking.

So, as is often the case, I pestered Dave Dries for some ideas. We'd been planning to collaborate on another project, and this seemed like a good candidate. He sent back a bunch of really cool photos, including this one:

ironworkers.jpg

And that seemed immediately like what we should go after. Trying to capture the look of those old iron worker photos. We also decided to stick with a very limited color palette. Not quite black and white, but hinting at it.

He also sent along a rough sketch of a wrap-around cover for the manual, which became the basis for the rest of the work we did. This really helped immeasurably, since it broke me away from the layout idea I had gotten stuck with. Dave created the background buildings using a plug-in for Cinema 4-D... at first.

squish_rough_1.jpg

From there, I began developing the characters, while Dave worked on the cityscape:

squish_rough_2.jpg

At some point, the plug-in just became too limiting, so Dave started building the city - from the ground up. This took a lot of work, but allowed him absolute control of what went into the city:

squish_bg.jpg

There is a ton of detail in there. Especially when you consider how small the final label will be. Fortunately, the manual cover gets printed at a good size.

We went through quite a few sets of foreground girders, before Dave came up with these. We wanted something that felt unsafe, hence the bent beams and skewed angles. I also wanted to make sure the guy was hanging out there only by his hand - without touching anything else - to further add to that sense of danger:

squish_rough_4.jpg

After the layout was set, I finished painting the characters in Photoshop, and touched up the foreground girders to match. Also, the background was lightened and blurred a bit to give the scene some atmosphere. This is the final wrap-around cover (without text):

squish_cover.jpg

Can you spot the AA logo? :)

We re-used the main background, with other characters, for the interior spread (again shown without text):

squish_interior.jpg

The background was further lightened and blurred so it wouldn't interfere with the text.

And finally, once the illustrations for the manual cover were complete, I adjusted the layout to fit on the cart label:

squish_label.jpg

The key to being able to do that, is to keep everything on separate layers in Photoshop. Then it's easy to move things around as needed.

In an earlier entry, I mentioned the importance of listening to music while I work. For this game, nothing seemed to fit quite so well as Raymond Scott.

In the end, it was a lot of fun creating the artwork for Squish 'Em, and I think it's mine and Dave's best collaboration so far. It's a far better piece than anything I could have come up with on my own, and the infighting and backbiting was kept pretty-much to a minimum. ;)

Oh yeah - and the game is really, really good, too! Go buy it! :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4445