IGNORED

Metagalactic Llamas VIC 20 -> Atari - finished

Heaven/TQA

OK. Played the scrolling version a while ago.

Agreed, it becomes confusing/disorienting.

And, yes, fine scroll wouldn't really suit since the player moves in character increments.

So, 22 col with indicators or hack to 20 column seems the way to go.

Played the game with scrolling for a while. It is a nice little game with a lot of fun. Thanks Heaven/TQA for the conversion!

But I agree with Rybags that scrolling has to be avoided. I tried to get used to it but in the end I got confused too much. So I'd vote for the overscan version with indicators.

Regards,

patjomki

here is a quick Mets 20x23 version.... play it... play it several times and let me know...

(yes... no text patches made, no title screen, indicators still working)

I personally perfer the "22 column with slight scroll" version, once I got used to it, it wasn't that confusing.

The game is great fun anyway. Missing out 2 columns won't make much difference to the game-play as such.

Regards,

Shaun.

ok...here is a full converted 20x23 version of the game without scrolling...

please play it again and several times...

all score routines are patched and reworked for 6 digits instead of 7...so highscore routine after game over should work, the quota counter & bonus counter should work...same goes to the "add bonus" routine...

so if there is something you might discover please let me know...

mets2b.zip

post-528-1203030419_thumb.png

post-528-1203030431_thumb.png

post-528-1203030442_thumb.png

ok...here is a full converted 20x23 version of the game without scrolling...

please play it again and several times...

all score routines are patched and reworked for 6 digits instead of 7...so highscore routine after game over should work, the quota counter & bonus counter should work...same goes to the "add bonus" routine...

so if there is something you might discover please let me know...

First of all I'd like to say that this version doesn't confuse me. :) The game develops in the right direction.

I discovered a little bug when playing in ATARI800 WinPlus 4.0 (didn't have any time to test it on real hardware yet). Whenever I press the cursor keys (the real ones not the ones on the numpad) the game immediately freezes.

Regards,

patjomki

I discovered a little bug when playing in ATARI800 WinPlus 4.0 (didn't have any time to test it on real hardware yet). Whenever I press the cursor keys (the real ones not the ones on the numpad) the game immediately freezes...
Hi Heaven, I noticed this too but I forgot to mention it to you, it happens in-game to me.

but Atari800win 4.0 version does not crash while pressing a key... so if it works on real machine I can not see what the reason is... so as it seems now it is an emu issue...
It'll be interesting to learn what's caused it in the emu to avoid debugging something that is actually written correctly! I had a similar issue with a php server upgrade during the week. A lot of time can be wasted when the fault lies elsewhere. It's good that it has been noticed. Another good thing comes from your project Heaven! The game is very addictive, it is certainly a game in a pure form. :) Edited by Tezz