IGNORED

Best game of 2007.

Shaun.Bebbington

It's obvious more people see C64 games, because there are more people with a C64 machine. And I'm sure about of a game is better because have a long time of fun. It's a factor to be considered as games as Montezuma Revenge, Bruce Lee, Aztec (equal to Joe Gunn) keep fun for a long time and all of them are good games. But on the other side, fast games as Donkey Kong, Popeye, Commando, Yie Ar kung fu are very fun/good games and it can be played and finished in a couple of hours.

I want to see on the future outstanding games from C64. Joe Gunn didn't leave me with the open mouth as Yoomp! or Crowland did it.

I want to see on the future outstanding games from C64. Joe Gunn didn't leave me with the open mouth as Yoomp! or Crowland did it.

i'm getting bored of pointing out that it's not about "wow factor" and all about playability...

Crownland Preview

384 Replies 30,579 Views

New Game: Joe Gunn

147 Replies 17,467 Views

Crownland wins !

That's one way of looking at it. Another way by comparison is to except the fact that new homebrew games on the C64 don't usually generate a lot of interest at all; to have more than a dozen or so replies on a board like Lemon64 is, as far as I recall, quite unusual. Take a look at the Protovision boards, for instance. Advanced Space Battle, which got a Retro Gamer "Sizzler" and 96% overall or there abouts, and a 9 out of 10 for Micro Mart, has just 33 replies since Friday 21st April 2006 and 5916 views. By comparison, the thread for Joe Gunn was started on Saturday 4th August 2007.

Regards,

Shaun.

i'm getting bored of pointing out that it's not about "wow factor" and all about playability...

Unfortunately, most people like playing games that look nice rather than ones that play well. I mean, if people would be searching for playability over asthetics, then games like Loco Bingo and Advanced Space Battle would do better than they have. But never mind - I'm with you on the playability is important in 8-bit games stance :-D

Regards,

Shaun.

Crownland Preview

384 Replies 30,579 Views

New Game: Joe Gunn

147 Replies 17,467 Views

Crownland wins !

That's one way of looking at it. Another way by comparison is to except the fact that new homebrew games on the C64 don't usually generate a lot of interest at all; to have more than a dozen or so replies on a board like Lemon64 is, as far as I recall, quite unusual. Take a look at the Protovision boards, for instance. Advanced Space Battle, which got a Retro Gamer "Sizzler" and 96% overall or there abouts, and a 9 out of 10 for Micro Mart, has just 33 replies since Friday 21st April 2006 and 5916 views. By comparison, the thread for Joe Gunn was started on Saturday 4th August 2007.

Someone even posted a notice about Joe Gunn being released on World Of Spectrum f'crying out loud, the Spectrum community talking about a new game on a different platform (and especially the C64) is close to unheard of. But another search shows that there isn't a single reference to Crownland so Joe Gunn beats Crownland!! (See how pointless using message boards for comparison is, GameEngine? =-)

Let me reply with some critical notes.

1) I think Yoomp is an amazing game, and it is very cool to play. But ........... I have already lost interest in it. (So soon???) ... Normally I REALLY have to finish games to the end. I can't wait till I reached and completed the last level. This game lost my interest after about a week. Hmmm.

2) Crownland: it is a very good engine. It runs fast, has great graphics and a nice tune. But playability is FAR too difficult. It does not encourage me to try again and again. Demo looked very good, the final version was really weak.

In the Abbuc contest ECKN ... got on #5th place. But that game is still interesting. You are never ready with it, and it is as hard as you make it yourself.

The point I want to make:

I think some games should take a longer test-time before they are voted for. First reactions are: woooow cool, look at that graphics, and look ... finally we can show the commodore users we have good-looking modern games too. Wooo. But I think games who survive time... are the real winners.

Think again: Missile Command... it looks not very good. But it is still a very cool game. Or millipede. It doesn't look very good, but it is one of the best shooting up's I own.

There ARE games with cool graphics, and nice playability: Flowers Mania. Wonderfull game. Deserves a very high ranking. Only bad part is: it has only 5 levels.

Don't get me wrong. I really love yoomp, it is a great achievement to produce such a high quality... but when I only look at the game... it is not THAT nice.

Thanks

Marius

1) I think Yoomp is an amazing game, and it is very cool to play. But ........... I have already lost interest in it. (So soon???) ... Normally I REALLY have to finish games to the end. I can't wait till I reached and completed the last level. This game lost my interest after about a week. Hmmm.

I'm still playing it now; although my attention has turned to other games, Knightlore for instance, as well as a few other new releases on other formats such as Farmer Jack and the Hedge Monkeys for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum

2) Crownland: it is a very good engine. It runs fast, has great graphics and a nice tune. But playability is FAR too difficult. It does not encourage me to try again and again. Demo looked very good, the final version was really weak.

In the Abbuc contest ECKN ... got on #5th place. But that game is still interesting. You are never ready with it, and it is as hard as you make it yourself.

And Yoomp! is still interesting to me. As well as a few other games. For instance, I still like playing Loco Bingo (Speccy) and that is a few years old now, as well as Advanced Space Battle. These weren't released in 2007 though, so I couldn't consider them.

The point I want to make:

I think some games should take a longer test-time before they are voted for. First reactions are: woooow cool, look at that graphics, and look ... finally we can show the commodore users we have good-looking modern games too. Wooo. But I think games who survive time... are the real winners.

I tend to play games for as long as possible before considering writing my reviews and coming to my conclusions. For instance, a ZX81 game released back in March 2007 won the Special Award category, and yet there are more recent games to consider. And the ZX81 is hardly a graphical work horse now, is it? Oh yeah, for Americans, the ZX81 is a Sinclair/Timex TS 1000.

Think again: Missile Command... it looks not very good. But it is still a very cool game. Or millipede. It doesn't look very good, but it is one of the best shooting up's I own.

I could only consider games released between the dates that I stated, which was from the 1st of January 2007 through to the 1st of December 2007. The reasons for this are explained here: http://forum.micromart.co.uk/Topic235211-24-1.aspx - but is due to magazine deadlines and the fact that, unlike most other writers for computer magazines, I don't get the latest releases six months before the release date. Therefore, I couldn't consider that games released say in 1983 or something to be the best new homebrew game of 2007.

I hope that has clarified my position to you.

Regards,

Shaun.

I tend to play games for as long as possible before considering writing my reviews and coming to my conclusions. For instance, a ZX81 game released back in March 2007 won the Special Award category, and yet there are more recent games to consider. And the ZX81 is hardly a graphical work horse now, is it?

Same here, i give games at least a couple of weeks on and off playing whilst it's mulled over for OSG and it's usually compared to a couple of benchmarks on the same platform during that time.