IGNORED

negative feedback for missing cartridge label?

kchris73

I bought a CIB 8-bit game on eBay from atarian63:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320197740553

The description said:

"You are bidding on spinnakers UP for Grabs worrd game for Atari 800/ XL/XE on cartridge.Includes instructions, warranty card and spinnaker brochure."

It turns out the cartridge is missing its label. When I try to contact the seller through eBay's message system or the email address provided on the invoice, s/he doesn't respond.

Is it unreasonable to assume that the cartridge will have its label? Especially with a seller name like "atarian63", you would think that s/he would know that is a relevant attribute that should have been openly mentioned in the listing. I know the principle of caveat emptor, but this is ridiculous. I feel like developing some multi-question form that I will submit to every eBay seller before bidding, because almost nobody (mobm62 and a few others being exceptions) can be trusted to disclose anything on their own. :(

What do you recommend that I do? Is it unreasonable to leave negative feedback?

The only thing you can complain about is their lack of response. There's no mention of condition in the description and as you said yourself 'caveat emptor', if in doubt ask the question before bidding. I say take the rough with the smooth on ebay, sometimes items are considerably better than you hoped for sometimes not.

I think there is no excuse for covering up a major flaw such as that. Sure some sellers don't scruitinize as much the condition as they should, but this one is obvious. I would think that the seller would work with you to correct the situation, otherwise I would leave a big fat negative.

If the cart isn't pictured surely expect the worst and hope for the best? If you're not willing to do that then ask the question before bidding. How many auctions do you see with no description at all? If you look at his other items you'll see pics of both the box and cart, he's just being smart and the buyer didn't ask the question so he wins. One of his other auctions says the item is tested as well so maybe the buyer should have asked that as well.

Edited by Pipster

Having a label of some sort is just to be expected. Even if he wanted to list the other items it came with, he should have stated that it didn't have a label.

The auction itself sounds deceptive, and potential buyers need to be warned of such deception. Neg him, then print your own label and glue it on.

Did it really cost $9 to ship to you. :ponder:

Unless he responds and at least give you an apology or explains himself, I'd neg him. Maybe he didn't know the cart was supposed to have a label?

The cart he mailed me is just a plain black cartridge; with a seller name like "Atarian63", I think he had to know there is usually some sort of label.

For $9, it would be nice to have some follow-up email even if it's just to say caveat emptor and that it sucks to be the eBay buyer who doesn't bother sellers with verification of things that should be taken for granted.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's interesting seeing the various viewpoints.

In my experience those labels fall off quite easily. However, the seller surely knew that the label was missing and for him not to describe it as such is being deceptive at best. Also, $9 shipping is crazy expensive, although you knew that up front so you can't really complain about that after the fact.

..Al

$9 to ship something that costs half that....you're just traking your chances since he obviously has no problem with deception to begin with.

If you didn't know better than chalk it up to experience. If you have ebayed before, and used the retardo-world thinking of "well I'll just factor the shipping into the price, even if he is robbing me blind on it", then sorry...you kn owingly supported a crook and have nobody to blame but yourself for even bidding being sold by a crook.

He deserves a neg just for that either way.

Edited by jetset

I got an apologetic reply from the seller tonight, saying that he had been on vacation. He offered that I could send it back for a refund (not clear if he would refund the $9 s/h) or we could work out a partial refund. I'd most prefer the label, but if he can't find it, I don't want to waste time mailing back the package (and debating how much of his shipping costs he should refund to me), so hopefully we can quickly settle on a partial refund (I asked him what he thought was fair, since I don't know and want to be decent to him).

I got an apologetic reply from the seller tonight, saying that he had been on vacation. He offered that I could send it back for a refund (not clear if he would refund the $9 s/h) or we could work out a partial refund. I'd most prefer the label, but if he can't find it, I don't want to waste time mailing back the package (and debating how much of his shipping costs he should refund to me), so hopefully we can quickly settle on a partial refund (I asked him what he thought was fair, since I don't know and want to be decent to him).

This is precisely one of the reasons why buyers shouldn't justify the total cost of an item that has very high shipping. Problem arises and seller chooses to not refund shipping (which a lot do not) and you're screwed. Hope everything works out for you.

You are bidding on spinnakers UP for Grabs worrd game for Atari 800/ XL/XE on cartridge.Includes instructions, warranty card and spinnaker brochure.

I think that for the seller to have gone out of his way to mention that it includes instructions and warranty car, yet not mention the missing label is deliberate deception. I mean, come on...