IGNORED

Editing a saved program in BASIC.

gamer1682

Can you Edit a program on cassette in BASIC? I keep making mistakes in my code, and would be nice to add in code into a prevously made program.

Once you load (or CLOAD) the program listing into your computer, you can edit it however you wish. When you're done editing it, you can save (or CSAVE) it again.

However, you might not want to save it on top of the existing program, since it probably won't be exactly the same length on tape, and you'll either overrun the existing program and wipe out part of the beginning of whatever program comes after it on the tape, or the new version will end before the old one did, and you'll get part of the end of the old version left over on the tape.

It would be better to save the new version either on a new tape, or on an existing tape but after the end of all the other programs on that tape (i.e., at the beginning of the remaining free space).

If you do save the new version on a different tape, or even at a different spot on the same tape, and you decide that you want to reclaim the space used by the old program, then you'd probably want to transfer each program from the old tape to a new tape, one program at a time, but skipping over the old program version that you want to get rid of.

Michael