IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem 2600 or Castle Crisis XL?

Isgoed

Easy: Castle Crisis. That being said, Medieval Mayhem is an amazing accomplishment and an excellent title. I have played both with 4 players and Castle Crisis is an easy winner. If I played them side by side recently I could compare and contrast my reasoning. Then again, we sometimes play regular 2600 Warlords, which has a different feel.

You can't really lose.

You already made your choice but here is my opinion anyway. I own both Medieval Mayhem and Castle Crisis.

Castle Crisis is a pixel perfect port of Warlords. If you have played the arcade game much at all, you need to own Castle Crisis.

Medieval Mayhem doesn't look or play quite like the arcade game. It is the best Warlords game you are going to get on a 2600.

But the one thing that Medieval Mayhem has over Castle Crisis is options. You can turn catch on and off for each player, set the numbers of games to win in a match, pick from four different game speeds and set the maximum number of fireballs. You can't do any of that with Castle Crisis.

While both games are based on the same game, the differences between the two systems make the game play different enough that you can own both without feeling that you bought the same game twice. (Though I did buy Castle Crisis twice-for the 8-bits and the 5200.)

My recommendation: Get them both.

You already made your choice but here is my opinion anyway. I own both Medieval Mayhem and Castle Crisis.

Castle Crisis is a pixel perfect port of Warlords. If you have played the arcade game much at all, you need to own Castle Crisis.

Medieval Mayhem doesn't look or play quite like the arcade game. It is the best Warlords game you are going to get on a 2600.

But the one thing that Medieval Mayhem has over Castle Crisis is options. You can turn catch on and off for each player, set the numbers of games to win in a match, pick from four different game speeds and set the maximum number of fireballs. You can't do any of that with Castle Crisis.

While both games are based on the same game, the differences between the two systems make the game play different enough that you can own both without feeling that you bought the same game twice. (Though I did buy Castle Crisis twice-for the 8-bits and the 5200.)

My recommendation: Get them both.

I agree completely. I owned CC and have helped Spiceware playtest MM (I am in the credits), and I agree: Get both. They are different and unique in their own ways, makes the game play different, but the same.