IGNORED

Making a 16k+ cartridge?

doctorclu

I was looking into making a cartridge for the Atari 8-bit computer over 16K.

Most of the boards on Atariage support 8K to 16K. How do you make a cartridge larger than that?

Can the Atariage boards be modified?

And where is there a good source for cartridge shells?

I guess it may seem obvious but, the atarimax flashcarts have really caught my eye recently. sure they're flash, but nobody really has to know. Of course they're a bit more expensive because of it.

if anybody else has another way, I'm all ears too. I've always wanted to make a multi-cart...well, I've always wanted to *have* a multi-cart anyway...

Edited by Reaperman

I got this info from Mitch, but I have not got around to trying it yet

For cartridges for 8-bit Atari computers, I'd recommend getting an extra XE Super Cart (something common like Bug Hunt), programming a 32K/64K EPROM with the game you want, desoldering the old cartridge ROM, directly soldering in the EPROM, and running a jumper between Pin 22 and Pin 14 (Ground). I don't remember having to cut any traces on the board for the XE carts I've made.

B+C have the super cart boards

ACA046 PCB Atari Super Cart holds one EPROM 14.95 1-2764 to 27512

but $14.95 sounds a bit steep

Edited by mimo

I got this info from Mitch, but I have not got around to trying it yet
For cartridges for 8-bit Atari computers, I'd recommend getting an extra XE Super Cart (something common like Bug Hunt), programming a 32K/64K EPROM with the game you want, desoldering the old cartridge ROM, directly soldering in the EPROM, and running a jumper between Pin 22 and Pin 14 (Ground). I don't remember having to cut any traces on the board for the XE carts I've made.

B+C have the super cart boards

ACA046 PCB Atari Super Cart holds one EPROM 14.95 1-2764 to 27512

but $14.95 sounds a bit steep

Hmmm... sounds like after you have the $14.95 board and the eprom cost (as well as the shell) you might as well just use a $20 Atarimax flash cart. Too funny. Well thanks for all the advice everyone.