IGNORED

Ign retro has a 5200 Buyer's guide up

8th lutz

http://retro.ign.com/articles/855/855369p1.html

The writer basically said he picked the games on his list for people starting out on the system has nothing to do with rarity, but based on fun compelling games that just make a solid cornerstone of a budding 5200 library.

Here are the games he mentioned:

Zaxxon

Popeye

Kangaroo

Mr. Do's Castle

Pengo

Mario Bros.

Space Dungeon

Wizard of Wor

Pitfall II: The lost Caverns

Frogger 2: Threedeep!

Star Wars: The Arcade Game

Berzerk

Countermeasure

Keystone Kapers

Miner 2049er

Robotron: 2084

He gave reasons to people who are new to the 5200 on you need them.

The final paragraph of the Article mention games that weren't mention on the list and claimed they fun and deserved to in a 5200 owners library. I didn't think the writer owned any homebrew 5200 games and went by all the 5200 games released back in the day as a result.

Here is the final paragraph the writer wrote:

Now, there are several other games that are just plain fun and deserve a place in your library, such as The Dreadnaught Factor, Moon Patrol, Joust, Jungle Hunt, Dig-Dug, and River Raid, but these core games are an excellent start. (There are also a few that deserve to be wholly ignored unless you are a completionist, such as James Bond 007 and Congo Bongo. Ugh.) Just remember, whatever you do, don't get crazy with bidding wars and be sure to play the classic carts you actually buy. These are games, after all -- not just museum pieces.

Edited by 8th lutz

Isn't there some sort of 'internal' mod for the 5200 to allow it to accept Standard Atari joysticks (like the compy pro or Konix speedking/Aka epyx 500j)

Not that I know of, but I'm sure it's doable. You might be able to convert the internals of a Competition Pro stick. Dunno. Never took mine apart :D

the 5200 is such a hard system to casually collect for. the system and carts may be cheap, but finding a working controller solution is an expensive obstacle,

Pshaw. It's not at all hard to get a working controller. Buy a new one (or the parts) from best electronics. It never fails to amaze me how many people will spend tons of money on carts and a system, then ditch it because 'the controllers didn't work'. C'mon, it's like $30 for a working stick! Once you get a refurbed one, they work fantastic, never break, and you are good to go for years.

Once you get a refurbed one, they work fantastic, never break, and you are good to go for years.

I paid JerryG to refurb 2 of mine years ago, and the damn things still didn't work right. Thankfully I've acquired some third-party controllers. One day I'll get around to fixing the 5200 sticks myself.

Nothing like telling everyone "Poke around on online auction sites, thrift stores, and other outlets and keep your eyes open for these classy classics," as this is a possible reason it's been rough lately finding anything classic. No longer do I walk into a thrift store expecting to find games rather records and various electronics. It's cool it's becomming more popular, but really kills the likelihood of adding to my Atari stuff.

the 5200 is such a hard system to casually collect for. the system and carts may be cheap, but finding a working controller solution is an expensive obstacle,

Pshaw. It's not at all hard to get a working controller. Buy a new one (or the parts) from best electronics. It never fails to amaze me how many people will spend tons of money on carts and a system, then ditch it because 'the controllers didn't work'. C'mon, it's like $30 for a working stick! Once you get a refurbed one, they work fantastic, never break, and you are good to go for years.

the key word is CASUALLY, no mention was made in the IGN article of Best Electronics website