IGNORED

What do I need?

Atarifever

Okay, so I'm selling my Gamecube and its collection to bankroll entry into the 5200 owners club. What do I absolutely need to do to ensure I have a system that works. I'm buying from a good online store, so I'm going to be positive the console works. However, what's the best bet for getting good controllers (that will last a long time), and what other issues should I be aware of.

Don't bother recommending games, thanks. I've been thinking about this long enough to have my own list ready.

Yep, Best Electronics is great for the controllers. As to the deck, get a two port, as you don't have to fiddle with that weird RF switch/Power connector. Some folks have said that certain carts do not work on a two port, but they all work on mine.

It's a fun system. You'll like it better than a gamecube, that's for sure :D

I would definitely suggest getting/building a masterplay/redemption type device. A fully functional 5200 stick goes a long way, but there are some games that just beg to be played with a genny pad or other digital joystick.

Oh, I also 'needed' an AV mod as RF was just too much of a hassle.

Yeah I highly recommend an AV mod, and a power mod for the 4 port power/switchbox annoying thing.

honestly, what is the big deal with the 4 port box? the only oddity is the power plugs into it instead of the unit. what the hell is the big deal, is it really that much more difficult for you guys?

Edited by Atari5200

honestly, what is the big deal with the 4 port box? the only oddity is the power plugs into it instead of the unit. what the hell is the big deal, is it really that much more difficult for you guys?

Because I've got a video mod, and having to use that assembly is quite annoying.

RF sucks. norfrg4.jpg:D

My unit is a two-port, but I couldn't stand watching that RF noise dance around on the screen so I did an AV mod. All my other RF only system's are modded as well so I'm spoiled now.

:D

I'll be the fourth to HIGHLY recommend Best Electronics. Brad does a GREAT job on those controllers!

I've never understood the big deal with the switchbox either. The one I got with my 5200 worked & I got 2 in a lot of parts & both of them worked. I've heard that they are notorious for going bad but maybe I've just been lucky.

Peace

I couldn't stand watching that RF noise dance around on the screen

??? what is RF noise? I'm totally in the dark here, what the hell are you guys talking about, there's no fuzz, no garbled sounds, no white noise, nothing, the picture I get is a very nice clean picture with just as equally clean sound, ive never noticed any of this stuff with any of my RF systems, I guess I just must be used to it, because the quality to me is just about the same as yellow red white plugs.(picture wise, not sound)

Edited by Atari5200

??? what is RF noise? I'm totally in the dark here, what the hell are you guys talking about, there's no fuzz, no garbled sounds, no white noise, nothing, the picture I get is a very nice clean picture with just as equally clean sound, ive never noticed any of this stuff with any of my RF systems, I guess I just must be used to it, because the quality to me is just about the same as yellow red white plugs.(picture wise, not sound)

That's strange...I'm sure that I'm not alone in getting RF fuzz on nearly all of my classic systems.

In my experience its subtle diagonal/wavy lines that cycle on and off the screen. Its tolerable and I could live with it, but why? An AV mod totatly eliminates it. In the Dallas area stations broadcast on channels 2 & 4 so maybe that contributes to the RF problems.

Yeah I highly recommend an AV mod, and a power mod for the 4 port power/switchbox annoying thing.

Same here, I don't have any problem with my 4 port though afew times it sticks due to being in the basement.

In my experience its subtle diagonal/wavy lines that cycle on and off the screen. Its tolerable and I could live with it, but why? An AV mod totatly eliminates it. In the Dallas area stations broadcast on channels 2 & 4 so maybe that contributes to the RF problems.

our local stations in pittsburgh are 2 4 11 and 53. But I use channel 3 for gaming. Plus the TV I use is not hooked up to anything to receive anything, no antennae or cable or anything, maybe that is helping my picture look better than usual as well.

I'll be the fourth to HIGHLY recommend Best Electronics. Brad does a GREAT job on those controllers!

I've never understood the big deal with the switchbox either. The one I got with my 5200 worked & I got 2 in a lot of parts & both of them worked. I've heard that they are notorious for going bad but maybe I've just been lucky.

Peace

It's just the relay that dies. I have one that the relay died. I just hardwired it for "always on game" mode. and it is plugged into the extra RF input on my 40" CRT TV. It is actually nice that the only cable to the console is the RF cable and it wraps neatly on the bottom of the console. It was ahead of it's time. Even the NES has an auto switching box.

As for controllers. I agree with buying the best controllers. I have Wico's, but am planning to build a custom controller when I get bored with my other hobby and come back to my vintage game systems. (I bounce back and forth between this and Rocketry)

I sent you a PM, I have a GOOD spare 4 port.

I have a clean pic too. Use channel that does NOT have broadcast on it. The FCC keeps one of 3 or 4 clear in each market for this.

That's strange...I'm sure that I'm not alone in getting RF fuzz on nearly all of my classic systems.

Some technologies need to be left in the past where they belong. RF is one of them. :)

Without RF, you would not have a TV signal or get Radio signals on your car stereo. In fact, without RF, we couldn't manufacture the Microchips that run our electronics today. RF is used in much more than you realize. Think about this the next time you nuke a bag of popcorn in the microwave that cooks with RF. :-)

Honestly, I get RF fuzz on none of my classic systems, except occasionally on my Sylvania Intellivision and Colecovision. But when I play Intellivision I use my Intellivision II, and I never play Colecovision, so I guess it's a non-issue. :D