IGNORED

Microprose is back

Curt Vendel

Microprose was such a big part of my childhood. From their flight sim games like F-15, F-117 Stealth Fighter, (Apache) Gunship, and Gunship 2000 to their most fantastic titles (as publishers) Master of Orion, Civilization, and X-COM I saw the Microprose logo flash across the screen thousands of times as a child and young teenager. My Microprose memories are all fine ones. I hope they can live up to what they once were.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look like they have any intention of actually making video games, but rather consumer electronics. This company may not even own the rights to the original MicroProse's games, they might have just bought the brand name, logos, etc.

I was kind of excited when I saw the joystick, thinking it would be for the 360... but looks like it's just another PC controller.

--Zero

It doesn't look like they have any intention of actually making video games, but rather consumer electronics. This company may not even own the rights to the original MicroProse's games, they might have just bought the brand name, logos, etc.

There was initial talk of this new Micropose having two divisions, red and blue, with "red" being supposed to be their video game and software division. As of now I didn't see them announce any new software though, but I still hope they do soon.

They seem to change their homepage every few days, so I'm looking regularly. (At least someone must've told the webdesigner lately that their company is spelled "Microprose", not "MICRO Prose" :lol:)

What I find surprising is that this new Microprose was actually launched by Atari Interactive, who even had to buy the rights back from Infogrames.

Also interesting, I think only +- a week from the relaunch of Microprose did Bill Stealy also start a new company Thriller Publishing

Anyway, IMO is Firaxis the true heir to Microprose :D

Still, exciting news somehow and I'm looking forward for things to come :)

I hope so, too. I have faith in MicroProse, one of the few I believe in. A company with a lot of history.

Nathan

too bad that this 'comeback' has nothing to do with software--which is what they're known for. No, now they're just a meaningless brand which is used to target the 'dorks 25-40' market segment. I sure can't wait to buy some of that new microprose cable.

so help me out here...aside from the name, exactly what's left of the microprose that didn't suck? And why is everybody thinking the next thing they'll make is a handheld retro game system? I must have missed a memo...

Edited by Reaperman

so help me out here...aside from the name, exactly what's left of the microprose that didn't suck? And why is everybody thinking the next thing they'll make is a handheld retro game system? I must have missed a memo...

Even if they did, I'd be surprised if there were too many of their own classics on it, since most of their games used the whole keyboard for controls. For example a "Microprose C64 DTV" could possibly only have Pirates!, Microprose Soccer and maybe 2-3 other joystick only titles, unless they added a keyboard.

Because Curt is involved

Because Curt is involved

involved with what? A joystick? I get the feeling that if there were any real news it would come right from the horses mouth, and not what somebody might have almost not said. Maybe that's just me.

Edited by Reaperman

We still don't even know if this Microprose even owns the rights to the original Microprose games. If you read the Wikipedia article on Microprose, they were bought by Spectrum Holobyte, who were then bought by Hasbro Interactive, who were then bought by Infogrames and rolled into what is now Atari.

If you're looking for a new Gunship game, you'd probably have to go talk to Atari. This new company probably owns little more than the Microprose name and logo.

--Zero

• 1 month later...

I was kind of excited when I saw the joystick, thinking it would be for the 360... but looks like it's just another PC controller.

--Zero

The joystick looks like it would be excellent for XBLA games!

-rick

• 5 weeks later...
So what happened? the Microprose site has been down for a week or more. I thought the stick was due to be released soon :(

I sometimes hang out at AVS Forums and Microprose has made a lot of people upset over there. They were selling OTA digital to analog converter boxes and cancelled orders for a box that was never approved by the NTIA, causing many people to lose their coupons because they expired.. And now their site has been down. Doesn't look promising. :ponder:

So what happened? the Microprose site has been down for a week or more. I thought the stick was due to be released soon :(

I sometimes hang out at AVS Forums and Microprose has made a lot of people upset over there. They were selling OTA digital to analog converter boxes and cancelled orders for a box that was never approved by the NTIA, causing many people to lose their coupons because they expired.. And now their site has been down. Doesn't look promising. :ponder:

Shame, it looked like they were going to bring out some interesting gear.