IGNORED

alternatives to Proline help

RangerG

I have an Atari 7800 I am cleaning up and testing, but it has no joysticks. What are some alternatives to the original Proline sticks? I know for two button games I need a stick with separately functioning buttons (unlike all 2600 sticks wih two buttons). I assume the Sega Genesis pad I have and the Sega Master System control pad I have will work on the 7800. Is this true? Thanks for the replies. -- RG

While the sega master system and genesis pads will work, you will only be able to use one button. You can also purchase the 7800 joypads on ebay. I have them, but I don't really care for them. You can also purchase nintendo controllers that have been converted to work on the 7800. Unfortunately, I can't remember who sells those. It was on the main page about a month or two ago. Just check the backlogs and you will find it.

I was just hoping I had an extra controller in my extras bin that would work. I knew only one button on the Genesis controller worked on the 2600, but I wasn't sure about the 7800. Oh well -- I will use a 2600 joystick for now and keep my eyes open for a 7800 one so that I can play the 2 button games. Thanks!

Tryout those 7800 prolines before you buy them, I had several that I gave away because I can't stand them, they are very uncomfortable for most games.

I like the joypads, they are a little smaller than the NES ones and a little less precise but they work well on most 7800 games that need 2 buttons. A lot of people/dealers have them in Europe, on Ebay they usually go for $30/pair but some people in the last few months were selling them for $15-20 for a pair. I got mine for 20 and I'm real happy with them, one of the sellers was 'yiddel' but he may have run out because he's not listing anymore right now.

I'll have to brush up on the 7800 controller schematic but I'm sure it's insanely easy to convert almost any 2 or more button controllers to work with 7800 in the correct 2 button configuration.

I have about a dozen dog bone shaped controllers for NES (couple of them dead) that I plan to convert. It's more comfortable to use than standard Sega or NES controller plus at this time I only have 2 Genesis controllers (1 3 buttons, 1 6 buttons) and I'm not about to sacrifice those and deprieve me the option of playing nearly 100 Genesis/CD/32X games :P

Go to ebay and buy the joypads. As someone else mentioned there is

this guy in Germany called Yiddel who sells them for $20 which is about

as cheap as you can find them. There is a guy in the US who wants $25

but with shipping the German seller is still cheaper.

The joypads are a cheap Tramiel era product but they are much much

better than the orginal sticks which gave me terrible hand cramps. But

I found that if the thumbsticks are screwed in they are not as easy to

control.

Otherwise do the mod for a Sega controller its a lot cheaper but it is

kinda cool to have Atari pads since few people have seen them

outside of Europe.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Yiddel is also a very fast shipper. I used Paypal and got the joypads in

4 days! That was probably a fluke for a package from Europe to get here

that fast but he had it well packaged and out the door the next day. If

anyone is looking to get the joypads Yiddel is the man to buy from. I

don't think you can find a pair of brand new ones for less on the internet.

John

RE: 7800 controllers.

At first, I hated the proline controllers because they gave me hand cramps. Once I figured out how to hold them in a relaxed way, I learned to like them.

I do have the pads. They aren't as precise as the proline controllers making some games like SCRAPYARD DOG harder to control. On the other hand, if you're used to pad style controls, they may be more inviting.

Didn't BEST ELECTRONICS release their own 7800 pro-line type controller a few years ago?

I bought Telegame 7800 controllers with an autofire feature a few years ago. The good news is that the autofire works well. The bad news is that for some reason the left and right fire buttons are reversed. Might be worth fixing but I haven't bothered to try yet.

Eric

I bought Telegame 7800 controllers with an autofire feature a few years ago.  The good news is that the autofire works well.  The bad news is that for some reason the left and right fire buttons are reversed.  Might be worth fixing but I haven't bothered to try yet.

Eric

Hah, mine had the exact same problem. It took about 5 minutes to fix.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

I just ordered a set from Yiddel a few minutes ago; the price really is good compared to the rare sightings in used game stores. I've tried them before, and they are certainly better than my Prolines.

Thanks to everyone for the reviews and the heads-up on availability!

-Eric

• 4 months later...

I have a pair of old Wico bat-handle sticks with the base button and the

button on the stick. Someone (at least 5 years ago, I forgot!) would

modify the stick so that one button was A and the other was B.

The modded stick also worked for the Colecovision. It involved

some minor rewiring and a new cable (because the original

Wico cable doesn't have wires connected to all 9 pins) and maybe

a diode...??? Maybe that's enough to get someone started on

a search if they're interested enough.