IGNORED

Self-Test screen on Atari800 WinPlus?...

ataridave

I got all the files where they're supposed to be, then put in a cartridge, and it's showing me this Self-Test screen, with "Memory", Audio-Visual", "Keyboard", and "All Tests".

This was after "putting in" Defender-do I need to go through any or all of these tests? Also, after selecting 5200 as the machine, I get a rom error message, but everything is in the right place-it does ask me what type of cartridge it is, and I have no idea.

Edited by dave4shmups

Try the key combinations ALT-Y. This will toggle through all the installed machine types, OSB,OSXL, and 5200. Key combination ALT-C will open a dialogue to find your playable 5200gqame to insert. Try all the cartridge types until it works. Verify if you have a valid 5200 game rom..

Try the key combinations ALT-Y. This will toggle through all the installed machine types, OSB,OSXL, and 5200. Key combination ALT-C will open a dialogue to find your playable 5200gqame to insert. Try all the cartridge types until it works. Verify if you have a valid 5200 game rom..

Thanks! The 5200 rom of Defender should be OK, as I downloaded it from this site, unless it's a bad dump. The problem is that it's telling me to check the rom settings, and I put everything where it's supposed to be. I don't have anything in the OS-A box, but I was told that I don't need anything in that box.

I don't know, this seems like a lot more trouble then it's worth, just to try out some 5200 games.

Edited by dave4shmups

If it is a 5200 game be sure the machine type is set to 5200. If you see self test, you are not in 5200 mode. (it sounds like you did this on your later attempt). if the size is 16K try 16K two-chip first, then try 16K one chip. Usually if you pick the wrong one it will crash. The 5200 defender available on that AtariAge site is 32K, so I don't think it should give you any prompt if you got it from here. If you received a ROM load error, you may have picked a type that was completely wrong (not sure if it will let you do that or not). What exactly was the ROM load error? What is the size of the file you are trying to load.

--Ken