IGNORED

how do programs detect the trackball?

Shannon

I've notice that some programs, for whatever reason, support the 5200 trackball. For example Pole Position..

So what is it that the program does to determine if a trackball is hooked up? Or does it treat it like a normal 5200 stick and the manual is just exagerating?

I've notice that some programs, for whatever reason, support the 5200 trackball. For example Pole Position..

So what is it that the program does to determine if a trackball is hooked up? Or does it treat it like a normal 5200 stick and the manual is just exagerating?

No, there is special code that you need to include to read the 5200 trackball. It all depends on whether the game controls would work good with the trackball. You're not going to play Pac-Man with a trackball but of course Missile Command is great with the Trackball. I'm sure Atari wanted every game to use the Trackball so it would sell more but of course you couldn't do that.

Allan

Hey thanks. I've been meaning to do a more extensive search. I also found a document that discusses the differences between the 5200 and the 400 and I was beginning to suspect it had to do with the controller select bit and the controllers reaction.

Thanks BigO' that little piece of information helped me clear up a bunch of issues. Once I modified my code to return the proper values a bunch of titles were no longer detecting a trackball and started functioning correctly. :)

Modified your code? I thought you were playing games. Working on something fun?

Is there any way this technology can be applied to modern day game systems? It'd be nice to have a spinner for the Playstation 2 or the Xbox 360. It might even make Space Giraffe worth playing!

How about just make a spinner for the PS2 or 360 using the joystick lines?

Thanks BigO' that little piece of information helped me clear up a bunch of issues. Once I modified my code to return the proper values a bunch of titles were no longer detecting a trackball and started functioning correctly. :)

Look at the first news item at the front of Atariage :P

Look at the first news item at the front of Atariage :P

Oh, now I see. He's hooking up a trackball to "Video Game Trader Magazine #3". Well, that just seems downright silly.

:P

Edited by BigO