IGNORED

7800 not working. What happened?

krambigmac

I posted this already on the 2600 boards but they directed me here since they couldn't find a solution.

The system is clean and the games are clean. What happened was I was playing Enduro and the game just went black on me so i turned it off and then on again after a few seconds. The power light turns on but the picture is black and occasionally there is a strange noise when it turns on. The noise is kind of high pitched.

I tried changing the TV cable from my gold plated phono cable to the original Atari brand phono cable. I use the phono-F connector so no switchbox needed. This changed nothing. The power supply is new from Atariguide.com and seems fine since the light turns on.

I opened up the system but that RF shield is in the way and I don't want to break the tabs by mistake. I've blown canned air into it before and after this problem started. It isn't the TV that's the problem or any of my cartridges. The only thing I can imagine that I may have done was not letting the rubbing alcohol dry totally before playing the game but the game did work for around 10 minutes before it went black.

• 1 month later...

I highly doubt its because you didnt let the alcohol dry thoroughly.I've played tons of times right after applying alcohol or contact cleaner,since I've been playing,for like 25 years now.Could it be the power supply went,or was intermittently bad,they can be bad like anything else even if bought new.It would be ideal if you had another console or an extra power supply also,to test it on,always really handy to have 2 or more consoles and power supplys,of any system one might have.

Edited by Rik