IGNORED

StanJr's Blog - Comic Books I Bought Today

RSS Bot

I picked up some pretty good comics today.

Fantastic Four #555: the new story line by Mike Millar has my interest piqued. There is a sweet mini-love scene with Johnny and this new super-villain chick that is really well done. Millar seems to understand the characters and their dynamic. But can he capture the sci-fi action needed in an FF comic? We'll see. He's working toward something.

Might Avengers #10. Some really nice stuff here. Some of Bendis' best work to date. The retro feel (its a time travel story), coupled with absolutely stellar dialogue between Iron Man and Dr. Doom made this the best comic I got today, and I picked up four winners. A must read.

The Punisher #55. This book has been consistently good for over two years now, something most comics cannot say. Grown up Punisher stories for a grown-up audience, this comic pulls no punches. This issues starts a new storyline where Frank goes after the corrupt Army dudes who sent Barracuda to kill him. Great place to jump in the action.

DMZ #29: Another comic that has been consistent since launch. DMZ is a near-future tale of a war torn America, where Manhattan Island is the DMZ between the "Free States" and the US. We see the DMZ through the eyes of a young reporter abandoned in the city as he learns his way around the island and tries to survive. Layer upon layer of political and media corruption make this a true urban thriller. This issue was the start of a great new storyline which sees a potential cease fire between the Free States and the US, with an election pending for a new kind of representational government. One problem: Not everyone is being represented and some of the splinter groups formed in the DMZ want to have their say. We are looking at full out political, racial, and social commentary. This comic sucks you in and never lets go. Brilliant.

I also picked up a few Daredevil back issues (272-273) from the Nocenti/Romita Jr. run. Classic.

So go buy some freakin' comics already, what do I have to do, hold your hand.

Oh, update, I'm 50 hours deep into FFVIII and near the end. It's Disc 3 so I'm having fun.

BUY COMICS!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=4632