IGNORED

A little help atariwin and disks

bfollett

Hey, first I have to say what a find this website/forum is. I'd long forgotten my Atari 8 bit and just out of bordem the other night, I did a little searching and ended up here. It's making me wish I'd never gotten rid of all my Atari hardware. Anyway, in another thread I found a reference to the atarimagizines website and it was like striking gold. I actually had a program published in the last release of the Antic Magazine (Space Station Multiplication). My problem is, I downloaded my long lost program from their website, but that gets it on my hard drive, how do I get download files into an atr file that I can mount in atariwin plus. I'm sure its simple, but I can't figure it out. I can't wait to see my old program after nearly 2 decades. I'm sure I'll laugh at how dated the graphics are by today's standards, but back in day, I thought it looked pretty good for a magazine freebie.

Bob

Welcome!

Check the disk version on our site with the extra animation sequence: http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=4852

I think the graphics look pretty good for a BASIC type-in game :)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Oh wow, thank you for the link, your site is very well laid out. At least at that small size, the graphics don't look half bad, but I still need help on how to load it in atariwin plus. Anyone? I think, I'll use your screen capture of the game to make my avitar.

If you used the Windows installer for Atari800WinPlus, you should just be able to double-click on the .atr file and it should run the program automatically. Make sure that you don't have BASIC disabled in the emulator, though.

The problem is I don't have an atr file. I have the source basic file and a data/pic file that it loads. I actually figured it out anyway. Atari800win plus has a hard drive device available: "H:" I simply had to point that to the directory on my hard drive was located to be able to load files from within atari basic without having an atari floppy to mount. It worked fine, just a single line of code to change so that it loads the data file from H: instead of D1:. Sweet.

If you used the Windows installer for Atari800WinPlus, you should just be able to double-click on the .atr file and it should run the program automatically. Make sure that you don't have BASIC disabled in the emulator, though.

The problem is I don't have an atr file. I have the source basic file and a data/pic file that it loads. I actually figured it out anyway. Atari800win plus has a hard drive device available: "H:" I simply had to point that to the directory on my hard drive was located to be able to load files from within atari basic without having an atari floppy to mount. It worked fine, just a single line of code to change so that it loads the data file from H: instead of D1:. Sweet.

Cool :)

I mentioned the .atr file because the link the Atari Frog posted above (to Atarimania) allowed the download of the .atr version.

Glad you got it working!

Cool :)

I mentioned the .atr file because the link the Atari Frog posted above (to Atarimania) allowed the download of the .atr version.

Glad you got it working!

Ahhh, You know, I opened his zip file and the first file in it was the basic source code. "multi.bas". I never even noticed the second file was an atr. I just assumed it was the data file used by the program, multi.pic. Nothing like making things harder on myself. Well, I got the space station converted to my avatar. LOL, at 120X62 resolution, it looks pretty sharp. Full screen emulated.... Not so much.

Thanks for everyones help.

Bob

Edited by bfollett

HI Bob

Boy I sure wish I had an program listing for the game. I still have my 800 and I would love to type it in for my daughter to work on her math.

Sean

I'm editing this response because I just noticed you said have an atari 800. If you really have the original 800 and not the 800XL. The program wouldn't work for you. It uses a GTIA graphics mode available only on the XL/XE. You still have the option of playing it on an emulator though, it works great in atari800win.

Bob

Edited by bfollett

I'm editing this response because I just noticed you said have an atari 800. If you really have the original 800 and not the 800XL. The program wouldn't work for you. It uses a GTIA graphics mode available only on the XL/XE. You still have the option of playing it on an emulator though, it works great in atari800win.

Bob

GTIA modes are available on all but the earliest 800's that had CTIA's (and they were upgradeable).

--Ken

GTIA modes are available on all but the earliest 800's that had CTIA's (and they were upgradeable).

--Ken

Ahhh, my Atari is so rusty now. I forgot that it was only the early 400/800 that had the CTIA chip. So its just a matter of getting the .atr disk image onto a floppy. Is there a utility available for that?

Bob