IGNORED

Anybody else get ripped off by this guy?

BuddyBuddies

http://www.customportables.com/jaguar%201.1.htm

I won a Jaguar portable back in December and he agreed to fix it cause it did NOT work. I sent it to him begining of February and he has yet to respond to any emails or PMs. I was told somebody on this site had issues with this guy and id like to hear their story. The post office confirms they signed for delivery. I paid nearly $500 for this item and im very pissed about the whole deal. The guy said he stands by his work and offered to fix my other portable too,what a bunch of shit!

All comments ,opinions,suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks buddies! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.customportables.com/jaguar%201.1.htm

I won a Jaguar portable back in December and he agreed to fix it cause it did NOT work. I sent it to him begining of February and he has yet to respond to any emails or PMs. I was told somebody on this site had issues with this guy and id like to hear their story. The post office confirms they signed for delivery. I paid nearly $500 for this item and im very pissed about the whole deal. The guy said he stands by his work and offered to fix my other portable too,what a bunch of shit!

So Buddy, is there any new news, in regard to this horrible situation? Have you gotten cops, the BBB, the news media or some local area leg-breakers involved yet? There was a lot of discussion in this regard on JSII. Anything come of it?

Smeg

• 3 years later...

Did anything come of this? Back in 2006 I bought a Portable Jag from eBay and contacted him and he agreed he would repair it and I sent it to him, never to hear a thing since. Lost over $500 too. Anyone know what has happened to him?

• 4 months later...

We had a problem with a member who it turned out ripped someone off on the BenHeck forum at the same sort of time as he did on on my old forum - he was a trusted moderator on my old site and when I discovered he'd taken someone's money and not only didn't provide the goods, nor refund, had been lying about sending item out when he even later admitted he didn't, was lax on replies, and making lame excuses, I banned his ass and made it public that he couldn't be trusted - he went under the name of mrafterfx; turned out this wasn't the first time he's conned people unfortunately. He was keen on Battlefield 3 at the time and we tracked him on that forum too before he did a runner there as he knew we were on his heels. I can't remember if the name mentioned here was him or not though, was several months ago.

Problem with commissions is you have no way to trust someone to fulfil a commission unless their reputation is solid and they have something to lose - if they are just "a regular member" then they can leave the forum concerned and run, and not be tracable. By definition, if someone has something to lose (eg reputation) they will be trustworthy - or take your chance with "regular Joe" - we aren't talking about small change here after all.

Personally, I only take on commissions if i'm prepared to do them, only take deposits when i'm ready to do work (even if the buyer is keen on paying in advance - i've lost orders in the past due to this honest policy, but hey!), and if (like now) i'm not taking on commissions (apart from one in the next months, will do more later in the year) I tell people that. They see worklogs of progress and even offer repairs for systems i've made; when items get sent I forward them a copy of the postal details as proof of dispatch and conclusion of transaction. That's what I mean by reputable.

Edited by bacteria
  • Like 1

Dave Kaplish was the guy who screwed me, i sent it back to get it fixed due to the shitty D-pad installation, i also had another portable he made that i bought off of Jason Smith. Once i sent the portable he stopped responding. I did get all but $40 or $80 back with an insurance claim so at least i didnt loose everything. Still the guy is a scammer. He lived in California.

• 5 months later...

It's pretty amazing how the exact same thing happened to a few of us. I wonder where he is now? He might of got real sick or died. Was pretty upset I lost $500. Really sad to see others had this happen to them too.