IGNORED

No more confirmed addresses with PayPal Powersellers only

video game addict

Got this email from ebay:

Selling is now safer and easier on eBay with PayPal

PowerSellers like you asked us to improve our seller protection measures. You told us confirmed addresses sometimes kept buyers from buying, and that annual coverage limits weren't high enough.

So we listened, and eliminated them both. Then we added coverage for buyers in 190 countries--and now you're invited to try it out. The new measures include the same coverage as the Seller Protection Policy, PLUS:

No more confirmed addresses: Makes it easier for people to buy from you

No more annual coverage limits: Don't sweat it... you're covered

Coverage in more places around the world: Take payments confidently from buyers in 190 countries

Enroll now to take advantage of the extra protection.

Only PowerSellers who reside in U.S., UK, Hong Kong or Canada are eligible to enroll for this expanded coverage.

Only powersellers though, this part I don't understand. I can see ebay being weary of sellers scamming without a history at ebay/paypal, but there has to be alot of non-powersellers on ebay. Anybody know the numbers? powersellers vs non for active accounts, or anything close?

They are saying that Powersellers no longer need to ship to confirmed addresses in order to be protected. This includes a slew of new countries that have no proof of delivery available. However (from the Expanded Seller Protection FAQ):

# No confirmed address required - just ship to the address that appears on the transaction details page

# Provide proof of shipping for chargebacks and reversals for unauthorized payments

# Provide proof of delivery (signature confirmation of receipt for items $250 and more) for claims and chargebacks for merchandise not received

So it still looks to me that shipping to these other countries still leaves you open to Not Received claims...

I plan on getting Powersellerized just so I can quit insisting on US Confirmed Addresses. (You have to be a Powerseller and enroll in the program to get these added benefits.)

For non-Powersellers, it's same old same old.

# Provide proof of delivery (signature confirmation of receipt for items $250 and more) for claims and chargebacks for merchandise not received

So it still looks to me that shipping to these other countries still leaves you open to Not Received claims...

Yeah, that isn't going to change much at all. I've had numerous international buyers claim non-delivery and get their funds back via PayPal. Until there is global (or at least more global than there is now) delivery confirmation system, it'll still be easy for international buyers to take advantage of sellers.

..Al

Are there any disadvanatages to being a powerseller?

I don't know if there are any disadvantages, other than having to maintain the sells to keep the powerseller status. Averaging $1000 monthly on ebay or more. They are about to start offering a discount on the FVFs for powersellers with high detailed seller ratings. Another perk to becoming a powerseller.

I don't see why it's only for powersellers though, it's like that's all they want to use their site anymore.

I think it's because of the buyer satisfaction ratings you have to maintain to remain a Powerseller.

I'm sure they have some interesting statistics regarding problems with Powersellers vs. non-Powersellers, not to mention their sales/profits from P's vs non-P's...

They sure seem to think the thing to do is encourage more sellers to become Powersellers.

Although I still marvel at certain Powersellers who sell in such volume that they can get tens of Negs a day with impunity!

Edited by lemoncurry