IGNORED

Atari 130EX Video output

Sean39

Hi everyone

Can any one tell me does the Atari 130EX on the 5 pinout for a monitor have the Chroma,and Luma needed to use on the Commodore

1702 monitor. I am not talking composite video either. S video stuff here.

Sean39

Can any one tell me does the Atari 130EX on the 5 pinout for a monitor have the Chroma,and Luma needed to use on the Commodore 1702 monitor. I am not talking composite video either. S video stuff here.

Yep. Here's the pinout of the Atari monitor connector: http://www.atariarchives.org/mapping/appendix15.php

I don't have a 130XE, but I do use a Commodore 1702 (with rear S-video connector) with my 800XLs and 1200XL (same connector in back), and it works great. I made my own cable, but you can buy one (someone on this forum will know where and chime in, I hope).

Thanks for that great information

So I really don't need to get an 800XL since it does not have the Chroma or Luma outputs. The only one that

would have that is the 800XLF which is hard to get anyway... What I really need to get is the Atari 130XE machine with the 128K of RAM.

Sean

So I really don't need to get an 800XL since it does not have the Chroma or Luma outputs. The only one that would have that is the 800XLF which is hard to get anyway...

Well, all 800XLs have the Luma output. Some 800XLs (later models, not sure if they're all XLFs or not) have the chroma output hooked up. If you get an 800XL that doesn't have chroma, it's a one-wire modification (literally, solder one wire to a point on the motherboard, and the other end of it to the chroma pin on the video jack).

Alternately, you can do what I used to do years ago on an 800XL: hook the Atari's composite output to the monitor's chroma input. It works fine on a Commodore 1702, and I never noticed any degraded picture quality (maybe I'd notice it now, I've become much more picky over the years).

Hi again

It just a one wire mod. Wow. Boy that great. I can handle that since I am a retired electronic Engineer. Does the Freddie chip make any difference

in the perfomance of the XL machines or not?????????????????????????

Sean

Alternately, you can do what I used to do years ago on an 800XL: hook the Atari's composite output to the monitor's chroma input. It works fine on a Commodore 1702, and I never noticed any degraded picture quality (maybe I'd notice it now, I've become much more picky over the years).

Commodore likely included that to make the monitor compatible with their own VIC-20 computer, which did not include a chroma output either.

One good thing about the XE series, though, is that the video output is noticeably brighter and clearer than previous Atari computers. My XE Game System only includes a composite output, but I don't miss having a chroma/luma output because the quality is so good -- it also allows the artifacted colors used by some games.

Commodore likely included that to make the monitor compatible with their own VIC-20 computer, which did not include a chroma output either.

One good thing about the XE series, though, is that the video output is noticeably brighter and clearer than previous Atari computers. My XE Game System only includes a composite output, but I don't miss having a chroma/luma output because the quality is so good -- it also allows the artifacted colors used by some games.

"it also allows the artifacted colors used by some games."

Can you explain a bit about that, dose it mean that if i mod an xe game system to Svideo some games will not work. If so is there a list of games that use it. And i have heard that Pal systems can not use it.

Thanks

Can you explain a bit about that, dose it mean that if i mod an xe game system to Svideo some games will not work. If so is there a list of games that use it. And i have heard that Pal systems can not use it.

Thanks

Artifacting takes advantage of the limited color resolution of a composite or RF video signal to create additional colors on the screen. Basically the unwanted "color bleed" or "rainbow fringe" effect that you may see surrounding text on the screen is used purposely to create colors that otherwise wouldn't be available (especially in hi-res 320x192 mode).

Games that use artifacted colors will still work with an S-Video output, but instead of colors you'll see shaded areas of black & white.

PAL has better color resolution than NTSC, so the artifacted colors aren't as visible (especially when using a SCART connection).

Thanks

Artifacting takes advantage of the limited color resolution of a composite or RF video signal to create additional colors on the screen. Basically the unwanted "color bleed" or "rainbow fringe" effect that you may see surrounding text on the screen is used purposely to create colors that otherwise wouldn't be available (especially in hi-res 320x192 mode).

Games that use artifacted colors will still work with an S-Video output, but instead of colors you'll see shaded areas of black & white.

PAL has better color resolution than NTSC, so the artifacted colors aren't as visible (especially when using a SCART connection).

Thank You :)