IGNORED

Atari 800 seemingly dead... help!

StickyNote

After about 6 months of non-use I go to fire up my Atari 800 only to find it completely dead (ie- no power light, no response on the television, no nothing.)

I have opened the system and nothing appears to have come undone in the way of circuitry. The adapter is making the same "humming" noise it always has so I don't believe that to be the problem. I don't actually have the equipment to test the adapter, but I assume humming means working.

The system was stored on a shelf in the same room it has always been in, and has not been subject to any major jarring or movement otherwise.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

After about 6 months of non-use I go to fire up my Atari 800 only to find it completely dead (ie- no power light, no response on the television, no nothing.)

I have opened the system and nothing appears to have come undone in the way of circuitry. The adapter is making the same "humming" noise it always has so I don't believe that to be the problem. I don't actually have the equipment to test the adapter, but I assume humming means working.

The system was stored on a shelf in the same room it has always been in, and has not been subject to any major jarring or movement otherwise.

Any ideas on what the problem may be?

you really need to verify correct voltage from the power adapter. Its a very common problem and its the first thing I check every time... humming doesn't matter, in fact can indicate a failing supply.

The fuse inside your power supply brick could easily have blown especially if you plug in the low voltage jack half way while the high voltage end is still hanging from the wall. That would be a short circuit and I would think all of five seconds later you would never get any more power out of it until you saw the brick open to replace the fuse. Most of us diehards have had to do just that and some more than once (I won't mention any names) - welcome to the club?

A $20 multimeter from Radio Shack would set you up with a way to test your power supply voltages from now on and much more. They come with instructions and the salesmen will help show you how to work it if asked politely.