IGNORED

my new 5200 controller

midnight8

I've been working on making a 5200 controller from a jaguar controller and I got finished today. It came out kinda ugly because I couldn't find a black 15 pin cable and also because I am terrible with keeping things round with a dremel and I had to grind around the thumbstick to make it fit. I think there has to be a better way to do that. Anyway the thumbstick works reasonably well I just need to add a couple of small trimmers to help it center better. All of the number pad works perfectly so far. The c and b buttons are the fire buttons and the a button is pause the option button is reset and the pause button is start. I put the pause button on a because I didn't want the reset or start buttons that close to the fire buttons.

post-15685-1206904975_thumb.jpg

Cool mod. What are you using for the thumbstick?

Stephen Anderson

came from an interact Dreamcast controller. I bought like 4 of them and I was going to make several of these but I got jacked and most of them did not work properly and I had already taken them apart before I realized it so now I can't ask for my money back. There are also some pc controllers out there by interact that have these 100k thumb sticks one of them is called a hammerhead that has 2 of them in it. The biggest pain in the but about making this was grinding down inside the jag controller to make the thumbstick fit.

100k thumb sticks

Pardon my ignorance, but does that mean the sticks function as analog? How's the range? Missile Command is a good game to test how far they go.

I must say, using a Jag controller was genius.

The stick is analog. It works pretty well on missile command. you can tell it does not quite make it all the way to the top corners of the screen, but it does not affect game play. You can also make it reach all the way with bigger capacitors but I have to get trimmers in there first cause it will no longer even close to center once the bigger caps are in. I'm going today to try and find some trimmers

Edited by midnight8

Can you show some screenshots of the PCB?

Looks great!

Chris

here are pics of the inside. I warned you it was going to be ugly but I am not a professional. When I have a little cash for a radio shack trip I will get my trimmers and some heat shrink which should be a lot better than electrical tape. I was going to get it today but realized I am short on cash. here goes

post-15685-1206981381_thumb.jpg

post-15685-1206981399_thumb.jpg

post-15685-1206981421_thumb.jpg

post-15685-1206981441_thumb.jpg

Edited by midnight8

Better than I can do! Hey, what's that grey stuff? Is that J.B. Weld?

I think you are just seeing where I ground down the plastic to make it fit. I actually used super glue to hold it in. I tried a different glue but it expanded inside the thumbstick and ruined it so I just went with the super glue.

This is really slick!! I was always partial to the Jaguar controller. I actually think I have a hammerhead stick laying around somewhere if I didn't dispose of it already.

If you already have the controllers you need laying around its not a bad mod wiring wise. The only thing thats a pain is fitting the thumbstick. I'm going to do another one in a few days maybe I can write down step by step

• 3 weeks later...
I think this mod is the most usefull Ive seen on an atari controller. Though Im convinced that the possible NON working action button should be molded over with bondo. (if it doesnt fire like the other two)

well the third fire button is now the pause button. It seemed logica to make it pause. I did not want to make it start or reset that close to the fire buttons. I was afraid I would accidentally hit it.